Biocube pros and cons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callen

Aquarium Advice Freak
My mom is thinking of a 29 gallon bio cube. Can y'all offer any advice on them? This would be her first salt tank. She has lots of experience with fresh.

Very easy and look nice. Only thing is the stock lights will let you do soft and LSP. If you want SPS lights should be upgraded. You are limited on fish size for sure but if it is a starter tank good choice. Had mine for 8 months and very easy. Just keep doing up on water changes. Also fairly compact so you dont need tons of room. Great tank to start with.

Paul

I have a biocube, 29g and I love mine. I have had it for a couple years and it's pretty simple to run. Like stated above the stock lights are not strong enough for ALL coral but are pretty good for the majority of them.

I've had anywhere from 4 to 7 fish in it at a time, all depends on the fish. But for sure you can keep a pair of clowns and maybe a couple other smaller fish. It's easy to maintain as well. :)

The only problem I see with it is that your mom will love it so much she may want a bigger tank! LOL

She has been working with me on my 75 gallon. She want to do something salty but doesn't have room for anything big.

I guess you don't need a sump or skimmer w a bio cube? Everything is contained in the cube itself?

I have the jbj hqi 28 gallon and I love it. It is a fantstic size for someone starting out in salt. The lights are metal halide so they will grow most anything and the only downfall to them is the heat they produce which I solve with a couple clamps to keep the hood open and allow more air circulation. I turned the middle section in the back into a mini fudge and I love the fact that the back is clear so I can see into it. Great tank to start with and work with.

A sump is not needed but seen a few that do. Skimmer is not needed either if you keep up on water changes. There is a biocube one but have to replace the wood every month and it will not help that much. I dont have either and its just fine.

Back
Top Bottom