Bit of advice for all python users

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TCool

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I'm changing my water today. I finish filling the tank back up, and every time after I finish I shut off the water, open the valve at the sink, lift up the vac tube higher than the sink and open to let the water drain out of the tube.

So, today I do that except I blast the ceiling with water. Soaked my floor and my microwave (luckily missed myself). Turns out I forgot to turn off the water. My girlfriend just about had a heart attack from laughing so hard. I gotta admit, it was pretty funny.

So, my advice, always turn off the water before taking the tube out of the tank and opening the valve on it back up. :lol:

Oh yeah, busted one of the "wings" (or whatever you call them) on my impeller off somehow, so now my nice and quiet internal filter is super loud. Bad fishy day for me. But, all my fish are still alive! For now at least, not sure how long until this filter gives with the bad impeller. Looks like I'm gonna have to get a new one.

closely related is an incident i had yesterday (hadn't happened in a while though). I was moving and forgot to turn off the water, so i overfilled my tank and gave the carpet a bath.

Not a python incident, but still kinda funny. I was moving the tank I was cycling off the floor and onto a stand. I couldn't get my gravel vac to empty into the bucket since they were at the same level, so I decided to siphon it out my window. Right below the window working on my mom's garden? Yeah, my dad. He thought it had started raining.

i just use the python to suck the water out and a hose to fill the tanks back up.

tcool it would have been a good vid to watch.

Haha, yea I have done a something dumb with my python... After I vac out the water from the tanks, I like to let the water clear out of the line before I start the refill. Once I flip the switch to start the refill its a mad dash to get to the tank before the water starts to flow.... So far I am around 40% in making it lol

LOL, at least I'm not the only one who's done something like this.

@HeathB: I think you got me beat. That would be hilarious! Although, I'm mean and I would've dumped it on my dad on purpose. :lol:

@mgamer: I wish I had that on video. I'd like to be able to see my reaction again, and see it from my gf's perspective. I just recall a massive amount of water blasting up to the ceiling and me quick shutting the valve and staring for a few seconds trying to figure out what just happened.

@Lowryder: So you have the end sitting outside the tank and race the water? lol Couldn't you take it to the sink, hold it up to drain the water, close the valve on the vac end, then start the water and take it to the tank?

Back
Top Bottom