Black Beard Algae Poll (Again)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

True or False. I have only seen BBA outbreaks in medium to well lit tanks.

• True

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • False

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
My outbreak of BBA does remain constant with lack of water changes + lots of organic. I went walstad without soil in my 46 because I was planning to switch substrates sooner. I did get BBA and I'm sure it was after I did less water changes.

Edit:

When I say outbreak it was really only bits on my driftwood but it also attached itself to bits of Java moss that had weaved in to the gravel

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I recently went from 30% a week to 10% a month at the recommendation of a very experienced store with beautiful tanks. it showed up after that in the front of the glass just like mentioned. It all fits. I tried putting some AC back in. Did a WC a few days ago, will do another one in 2 days.

Is that suggesting a high nutrient load of something? Wondering if the items above are an issue or what they break down into are more the issue I guess.

I think he means higher Dissolved Organics specifically. Not just the usually nutrients?

That would actually fit. Maybe - some very early tanks I'd have no idea on as didn't have a nitrates test kit. Food for thought.

Well, I think we have all ruled out Nitrate, phosphate, and Iron. I also feel that there is no correlation between BBA and Alk. Silica is a diatom thing. Most established tanks have very low Silica (Spent some time testing that). Organics are all that is left. Seen as how there is a correlation between WC it makes sense to me. Re added Activated carbon and will increase WC. Let you know what happens. I only have a trivial amount anyways but I really what to know all the mysteries :)

In the discussion yesterday nutrients and over fertilization were never mentioned.
Keep up posted on developments.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom