Black Beard Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mayanearth

Aquarium Advice Activist
How can I get beard algae out of my tank?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Okay, I will implement some of that, but are there any types of hish that eat it?

Thank you.

I heard amano shrimp eat it. I started dosing with excel and it died off in about a week. You gotta really clean the tank and filter after it dies off though to make sure it doesn't come back. It would also be wise to figure out why you're growing it in the first place. I've read it can be from a lack or imbalance of co2/ferts.

If I fix the conditions will it die off on it's own? Most of it is on a decoration that will be a nuisance to get out. And some of it is on the plants themselves.

aqua_chem said:
What's your tank' setup? Lights, CO2, fets, age, parameters, etc

It is a 70G Eheim bow front with compact fluorescent lights,(I don't know what the exact type is) with no CO2, I use Flourish(Seachem) at staggered intervals, the tank has been running for 9ish months, and I don't currently have access to the water parameters. I hope this is enough information, and thank you all for the help you guys have given me so far.

I didn't know till I came but your perimeters really matter because people. An basically help you in several areas.

I'll start with this. Does your tank sit near or in direct summer sunlight?

How many hours a day are your lights on?

How often are you changing your water and how much at a time?

What kind of fish do you have in your tank?

I would take my water to your LFS and have them test it (most likely for free) and write down your results.

Jodisgermanshepherd said:
I didn't know till I came but your perimeters really matter because people. An basically help you in several areas.

I'll start with this. Does your tank sit near or in direct summer sunlight?

How many hours a day are your lights on?

How often are you changing your water and how much at a time?

What kind of fish do you have in your tank?

I would take my water to your LFS and have them test it (most likely for free) and write down your results.

It might get a few hours of sunlight a day when my curtains are to the side.

The lights are on for almost 11 hours a day, is that to long?

I do a 15% water change about every 3 weeks.(because of the filter, I can not take out more than 15 percent at a time, because if I do the filter leaks.)

In the tank I have 5 Denison Barbs, 10 Neon Tetras, 6 Rainbow Fish, 3 Bolivian Rams, and an Angel Fish.

Thank you for responding, and I am sorry that I did not reply sooner.(today was my first day of high school, I am now a true freshman.)

You need to reduce the lights to 6-8 hours a day. You also need to do much more frequent water changes. I do 50% weekly. Why does the filter leak when you change the water? You might want to invest in a new filter.

The seal is bad, and when the filter sucks up air, it leaks. When I get more money, I am planning to buy a new filter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom