black beard and green spot algae problems!!! HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 30 gallon tank that is having issues with the algaes stated in the title. No matter what I do I cannot seem to get rid of it. For some reason it is out competing my plants. Here are the specs of the tank:

Plants-
1 amazon sword
1 green crypt wendtii
1 red crypt wendtii
1 crypt parva
1 crinum natans
1 moss ball
1 banana plant
2 java fern on driftwood
1 crypt spirol
some dwarf sag
some crypt valanci (Not sure how to spell this crypt)

Most of my plants grow very well in my tank especially the crypts but I cant stop the algae. (Green Spot & Balck beard)

Lighting- 2 T5 bulbs a total of 78 watts, I run my lights for about 5-8 hrs a day.

I do weekly water changes that are about 30-40% each week. I dose seachem comprehensive and potassium every wednesday and sunday at the recommended dosage for my tank. I also was dosing api co2 booster but I switched to seachem exel liquid co2 just recently. I dose the liquid co2 on a daily basis at the recommended dose.

AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG THAT COULD BE CAUSING THE ALGAE??? IF SO, WHAT COULD YOU GUYS SUGGEST TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM???

Algea spores are everywhere. They are just waiting proper condition to grow. Algea is a primitive organism and needs less light,co2 etc.

Root of your problem is the question of what is less or more. Plants need co2,light and nutrients to grow. If one of these is not enough, there comes algea .

I had minor black beard algea problem and my problem was co2. When I switched to pressured co2, It went away. Also, If you have spots that algea is growing more, I bet you have less flow in these areas.

Just focus on your plants and give them right doses of what they need. Take out excess nutrients by water changes and in the end you will have more control on your algea.

Reduce lighting to 6 hours daily.
You can spot treat the BBA with Excel or Hydrogen Peroxide.

Or you can do a three day blackout if there is a lot of Algae.

Check water params.

And yes Pressurized CO2 should be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello km...

From what I've noticed in my tanks for the last few years, is algae thrives on two nutrients. They are phosphates and nitrates. Flaked fish foods are high phosphate, so if you feed too much, algae thrives. Nitrates are the leftovers from the bacteria that eats ammonia and nitrite. The only way to remove nitrates is to change a lot of tank water and do it often. Tanks 30 gallons and smaller need 50 percent water changes every week, no slacking. Larger tanks can go 2 weeks between those changes. You can introduce nitrate eating plants like Hornwort. The more Hornwort, the lower the nitrates and the less there is for algae. Anacharis is a good floating plant that gives off a mild toxin that most forms of algae don't tolerate. It basically slows it's growth.

B

Back
Top Bottom