Black/brown orbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mano

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So while turning over a large hunk of my live rock to kill an anemone, I discovered three small black/brown spheres clinging to the rock.

6sdsnk.jpg

Sorry for the bad picture, I took several and that was the best one. XD They appear to be black/dark brown, shining a light on them makes them a glass/marble look. They look like pods or something to me. Just wanting to know if I should lance 'em before turning the rock back over or if they're harmless.

Thanks much!

Looks like bubble algae to me. Some crabs may eat it, but if possible I'd maybe take the rock out and try and get the bubbles off, otherwise it may spread, especially if you try to get it off in the tank.

I agree, bubble algae...can turn into really nasty stuff really quickly.

Thank you very much, guys. :D

I took that part of the rock out of the water, removed the bubbles and wiped teh area before replacing it. Hopefully that'll prevent a big outbreak.

Good job, I'm surprised catmel didn't mention this (me either since I assumed she did...lol), don't pop them or the spores will spread.

No popping! :D

They were actually very hard, I gently grabbed 'em with some tweezers and set them out in the open to look them over. I checked the area and didn't see anymore so I think I'm good!

Good job, I'm surprised catmel didn't mention this (me either since I assumed she did...lol), don't pop them or the spores will spread.

I sort of did, in an indirect way. I just mentioned to remove the rock if possible before trying to remove them, so as to not spead it ;)

Anyway, sounds like you have the situation under control :). You should have no problems, but keep an eye out for more.

Will do!

Thank you all again. I went digging through some hitch hiker identification sites but didn't even know where to start looking for these. =P Thank you all again.

Back
Top Bottom