black chromis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chizzle

Aquarium Advice Regular
My LFS has in a fairly large shipment of what they are calling 'black chromis' They have a more elongated body than the regular green chromis, but are all black with a little bit of yellow on their tails. I BELIEVE the scientific name is chromis nigrura but I can't find any information (temperament, requirements, ect.) on them. Anyone ever heard of them, or had any experience? Or even a little bit more information? Its greatly appreciated!

Chromis xanthura sounds like what you are talking about. I've always heard them called paletail chromis. They are black with white tails though, however I think the tails are yellow in the juvenile's only.

There are Blacktail chromis, that have yellow tail, but they tend to have black along the edges of the tail fins. I believe they are peaceful, but I really don't know any more than that.

No, thats not quite it. The coloring is about right though. It looks more like this...

www.blueventures.org/research_spelibmvertpoma.htm

If you go about 3/4 of the way down its listed with the name blacktail chromis, or chromis nigrura. It's in the first, left hand column. See how the body is a little more elongated? Maybe they are the same thing though, I'm not sure...

I bought fish called black and white chromis from mail order. Billed as very peaceful. Yeah, right? I'm convinced they're damsels. Got rid of one, and the other chases my smaller fish sometimes.

chizzle, check this out:

http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/ThumbnailsSummary.php?ID=5682

The top first two pictures show the adult coloration on the left, and the juvenile on the right. You can see the difference. I read before in my Marine Fishes book that pretty much all damsels are "destined for drabness" as they put it. As in...the juvis are always bright and cool looking but they lose the bright colors as they age.

BTW Chizzle, nice meeting you. Ain't that something running into you and finding out you're an AA'er as we talked about your employer's grungy tank??? Nice guy though.

I'll post that pic we took together when I get my home computer back up.

Hmm...I don't know. I liked the fish because it was something a little different, but I don't want to add anything to the tank without knowing ANYTHING about it...let alone being able to get a 100% positive ID. I suppose I will pass on these. Maybe this weekend I'll do some hardcore research, so if the LFS gets them in again, I'll know. Thanks any ways for all the help. :)

BTW austinsdad, I was getting ready to send you that PM tonight! It really is a small world after all. Hope you enjoyed your meal, and I wish you could've seen my other employer's tanks - much, much nicer & even success with harder to keep species. Oh yeah, I was informed Sunday after you left that they wanted to add a tang & corals to the grungy tank. Makes you cringe doesn't it? I tried voicing my opinion but for some reason the guy that takes care of the tank thinks "the ecosystem can support it". Just thought I'd share :)

Back
Top Bottom