Black Ghost Knife fish acts dead at the exact moment when lights come on!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is cool, I put some flakes in right now and I know they normally only eat frozen or live, but he immediately went after them and ate them (shredding them up and sucking the pieces in)
Great. Feed him like this. I feed mine freeze dried. He comes for it. Your will be more comfortable if you make him to swim forcefully. Dropping floating food is a part of that. Once he is familiar with surroundings then u will always see him swimming and eating and to see them eat is a great size. I posted a video above of mine.

Don't feed him live food to avoid future problems. Don't let him familiar to fresh meat lol. Let him see his tank mates as tankmates lol.

29 did list parameters in the original post.

It's weird. 29 is asking what's wrong in three different threads, and in three different threads people are answering.

This topic was over a week ago... I put the tube back in and a few more hiding spots.
I make sure my parameters are perfect
pH 6.9
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
Nitrate:1
phosphates: 0
dKH: 3
GH: 5

Last edited by a moderator:
BGK like subdued lighting, low light, they do not like bright light. The tank light coming on can cause him to be startled/shocked.

Perhaps turn on a light next to the tank to let the fish start to wake up with a low amount of light.

Add some plants layered over the top of the tube or maybe attach the I think you said you have plastic plants with a zip tie or fishing line (if you use fishing line, you can use multiple circles, tie off each circle and cut excess, in case it falls off, long curly strands can get caught on fish and I had some got tangled before when my round and round and round the rock tie job with moss fell off its rock) to make sure that you get to see him but the light coming from the top is maybe a quarter and kind of dark.

BGK like subdued lighting, low light, they do not like bright light. The tank light coming on can cause him to be startled/shocked.

Perhaps turn on a light next to the tank to let the fish start to wake up with a low amount of light.

Add some plants layered over the top of the tube or maybe attach the I think you said you have plastic plants with a zip tie or fishing line (if you use fishing line, you can use multiple circles, tie off each circle and cut excess, in case it falls off, long curly strands can get caught on fish and I had some got tangled before when my round and round and round the rock tie job with moss fell off its rock) to make sure that you get to see him but the light coming from the top is maybe a quarter and kind of dark.

Ok, I have a "night" light for the fish and I turn it on before I turn on or off the lights. My tank is a 29 Gallon marine land bio wheel tank.

So I took everyones tips and he is swimming in the open, the white film went away, not stressed out and the bump is way smaller

So I took everyones tips and he is swimming in the open, the white film went away, not stressed out and the bump is way smaller
Very nice to know he is opening up and bump is reducing. Keep us posted how he is doing.

Yes, glad it it looking better. Keep an eye open for possible parasites which can also cause a fish to get a thicker slime coat.

The are stunning fish which get 18" long and will eat things eventually which will fit in his mouth, because fish are food to them. Also be aware.

Excellent water conditions and more room for growing into a tank is advised for best way to keep them. Freeze dried (soaked/rehydrated) foods and defrosted frozen foods in the diet for best health and growth the little guy has a lot of growing to do very soon!!! And no scary tankmates or too bright light he will be more and more happy.

So I replaced the ghost tube with a BIG log that provides more darkness, he has come out a TON more and is eating out of my hands. He mainly eats bloom worms but sometimes eats flakes. The bump on his mouth is completely gone. He swims vertical most of the time now which I read is their normal behavior. He is a fat and healthy fish! I toned the lights down a little bit. Thank you for all of the help! IMG_5817.jpgImage1492728242.601218.jpgImage1492728260.534619.jpg

Very nice to see he is comfortable. Enjoy. Bloodworms are great for him as he is carnivorous. You may also try pellets. He will eat that.

Very nice to see he is comfortable. Enjoy. Bloodworms are great for him as he is carnivorous. You may also try pellets. He will eat that.

No he won't eat pellets and freeze dried blood worms. Just flakes and frozen blood worms.

Back
Top Bottom