Black kuhli loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luv4bettas

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey I have decided to breed kuhli loaches but before I do I'm going to keep one as a pet before to try them out and see if I would like to continue! So can I get advice by telling me everything I need to know like the food and stuff like that.
Thanks! :fish2:
Luv4bettas

Well, are you aware the black kuhlis rarely breed in captivity? People who attempt to breed them have much difficulty and most success stories come from them doing their own thing while hanging out in an under gravel filter plate. The black kuhli has even less success than the striped version.
As for keeping one, try keeping a group. They are quite social and really feel more at ease with more and more kuhlis. I have kept several species in this genus, all were wonderfully social and adorable. I wouldn't suggest under a 20g tank, and be aware that some people never see theirs. They are more likely to venture out willingly during the day if they are comfortable which means a good sized group and lots of hiding places. Don't be surprised if it takes a bit for them to venture out. They are not too picky of eaters, but I suggest sinking food.

Well, are you aware the black kuhlis rarely breed in captivity? People who attempt to breed them have much difficulty and most success stories come from them doing their own thing while hanging out in an under gravel filter plate. The black kuhli has even less success than the striped version.
As for keeping one, try keeping a group. They are quite social and really feel more at ease with more and more kuhlis. I have kept several species in this genus, all were wonderfully social and adorable. I wouldn't suggest under a 20g tank, and be aware that some people never see theirs. They are more likely to venture out willingly during the day if they are comfortable which means a good sized group and lots of hiding places. Don't be surprised if it takes a bit for them to venture out. They are not too picky of eaters, but I suggest sinking food.

Ok thank you if/when I start breeding I will hopefully be able to get a nice 55g tank and thanks I know exactly what kind of food to get them!

Luv4bettas

I agree with AbsolutAngel, kuhlis rarely breed in captivity.
As for food, sinking food is great and also you will find that they eat better with the lights out in the evening. :)

I agree with AbsolutAngel, kuhlis rarely breed in captivity.
As for food, sinking food is great and also you will find that they eat better with the lights out in the evening. :)

Yes! Like GreenLily said, the absolutely will come out more at night. Even if they feel comfortable and come out to hang around during the day, they will still always be more active at night. Mine would come out a fair bit in the day, especially once I fed them, but nighttime is their playtime. I fed algae wafers, blanched veggies, and shrimp pellets to mine. Also, frozen bloodworms are appreciated by pretty much any fish that can get its mouth around one. They need meaty foods in their diet. :)

In general, I found them to be pretty hardy and healthy. Tons of fun. I am glad you have a 55g for them, they shoudl do well in the space.

One final thing to be aware of, never bet on getting back out of a tank once they are in unless you trap them in hollow decor or something. Of all the fish I have ever owned, loaches (and these in particular) have given my the biggest run for my money while trying to capture them to move a tank. :lol:

If you have anymore specific questions, feel free to ask.

Back
Top Bottom