Black lips on my tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jesswimmer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all, I'm new to this app so I hope I get the hang of it!! I have 4 black skirted tetras and have had all 4 for a little over 2 years. Recently their colors have been changing... 2 of them are much darker now. In addition to darker fins, their lips turned black. Is this normal?!? The color showed up a few months ago and has been like that ever since.
Thank you!!!

There is always some room for color variation with these fish. I can't really tell you anything without a picture of them, but it sounds like normal coloring. Fish will sometimes darken a bit with age. Did you try looking ta pics on google images to see if other fish look like yours do? It doesn't sound like anything to be concerned about that I know of though.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394846187.915013.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394846225.250188.jpg
Here are some pics... Of course every time I tried to take a picture of the tetra every other fish got in the way haha. Any help would be awesome. Thank you!!

I have been looking at loads of pics of your tetras on the Internet and whilst it is not a common trait to have black head or lips, I did see quite a few. Perhaps they are males coming into breeding colours. Just a thought. I wouldn't be too concerned.

Back
Top Bottom