Black mollies in planted freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ram_g0p

Aquarium Advice Regular
We have a 25 gal (tall) planted tank with cardinal tetras (5), german blue ram pair, rasboras (6) and some peppered cories (5). It's been a while since we added new fish and some old ones (tetras) have died. My wife wants like them black mollies... I am just worried about their well being in fresh water as they are brackish water fish. I heard they can be adapted,but I'd like my fish to be well rather than survive..... Any thoughts? TIA

Mollies are fresh water but do very well in brackish water. In the wild they come from fresh water. you could add a pair with what you have now. If you don't wan't more babies than you know what to do with make sure you get two females.

Thanks. Would 2 female and 1 male be OK? with a pair setting, I am just worried about the female being constantly harassed by the male.... BTW, my tank is well filtered - a Fluval 206 canister and an Aqueon 30 HOB....

You are already pushing overstocked with your current fish. Mollies have a very heavy bio-load even with the filtration you have which is awesome I think it would just be to much.

Thanks. Would 2 female and 1 male be OK? with a pair setting, I am just worried about the female being constantly harassed by the male.... BTW, my tank is well filtered - a Fluval 206 canister and an Aqueon 30 HOB....

The male will harass the females constantly so if you had more room yes you would want 2 or 3 females to 1 male. With the amount of fish you currently have I would stick with two females and thats it.

OK all.... Thanks for the quick help. I think I'll hold off on the mollies for now.... Just one final question though... would a single male be alright? I mean would he be too depressed with no other molly in the tank?

I have three females and one male molly in my 29 gallon with 8 neon tetras, and 4 male guppies. I also have three batches of fry right now and I believe my girls are pregnant again. I would suggest getting two girls. You will still probably have fry because they can retain sperm for months but it should run out and you will not have to deal with fry. I also have two Juvenal males in a heavily planted 10 gallon and they are fine. One or two males should be no problem. One will chase the other but no harm should occur. One male would try to breed though. My oldest male spent time with only one girl to chase and she would beat him up pretty bad. He started chasing the neons. LOL He would shimmy up to one and do his little mating dance. I finally got him a couple more girls so he would leave the neons alone.

I have never seen a molly that was bigger than 4 inches. I keep hearing that they get big but none I have bought or raised have gotten past 4 inches. I have three adults in a 29 gallon and have feed them a varied diet and kept a close watch on water perimeters. My biggest one is under 4 inches. I think most are around 2-3 inches because they have been inbred so much by breeders and their size has decreased. Plus, pet stores keep them in small tanks so they just do not grow that big.

I currently have 16 mollies in my tank, only 3 of which are male, (4 dalmation, 1 marbled, 2 creamsicle, 1 red, and 2 silver, 2 juvis and 4 fry) also with a GBR, 3 bettas, a flame red dwarf gourami, a couple of green corys and 1 neon tetra who i need to get some more friends for.

I would not recommend mollies for your tank. With your filtration, do I think your tank could handle it? Sure. Your problem comes with the fish. I wouldn't put more than lets say 2 maybe 3. If you go all male they will get frustrated eventually and try to mate with whatever they can get near. If you go all female, there is a chance they can be pregnant from the store. One of my female creamsicles came pregnant and the 4 fry I now have are the result.

Have you thought of female bettas? I was directed to them by some people on this forum. They don't look all that great in store, but once they are home and in a tank and not a cup their colors really come out.
Actually, when I have a school of neon tetras one of my bettas will swim with them and change her colors to match. Really amazing to watch.

Well this was just my 2 cents! Hope I helped somewhat!

the tank size is definitely a factor, it isn't just genetics. it also depends if it is a balloon, lyretail, sail fin etc. one of my lfs has a 6 inch black sail fin molly in one of their display tanks. its huge and craps like a pleco. mollies should not be a subject to 10 gallon aquariums. it happens all the time and it never lasts

I think its a universal agreement by any fish keeper with some knowledge that no fish should be kept in a 10G heh

Apart from some shell dwelling cichlids and micro rasbora species i cant think of many either.

Last edited:
Molly's will be fine but if u get a mix of males and females expect babies!

Molly's will be fine but if u get a mix of males and females expect babies!

Mollies in a 10gallon that wouldnt be ok. They can average 4 inchs long and some species have been known to exceed. There are many more unsuitable fish for 10gallons before you get anywhere near mollies.

Last edited:
There are 40 subspecies of mollies.(Poecilia) Look it up. Some get to 3'. Some get to 6". I grew up where the Latipinna was in our native waters. Caught many as a kid. OS.

Mollies in a 10gallon that wouldnt be ok. They can average 4 inchs long and some species have been known to exceed. There are many more unsuitable fish for 10gallons before you get anywhere near mollies.
whoops I didn't realize his tank was only 10 gallons! Then ya i dont think Molly's are a good choice for a 10 sorry.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom