"Black Neon" Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

workfortheman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently picked up 6 Black Neons (Hyphessobrycon Herbertaxelrodi) at my LFS for my 15 gal long, along with a yoyo loach and a med. angel. My probelem is that the tetras are not taking any food. So far I have witnessed them spit out flakes, freezedried bloodworms, freezedried Krill, and even frozen brine shrimp!

Are these fish known as finicky eaters? All the literature I find says they eat readily, but need a varied diet. Does anyone have personal experience with these fish and what to feed them?

BTW tank parameters are all fine, the fish look healthy except for the food thing!

Thanks!

Attachments

• fish_001_155.jpg
    fish_001_155.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 90
  • fish_002_551.jpg
    fish_002_551.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 115
i have black neon tetras and havent had a problem with them eating. although they did take a few days to figure out where the food was coming from. maybe try some veggies.

those look like rasboras IMO

but guess they are black tetras

When I got my rummynose tetras, I didn't see them eat for almost 3 weeks. I noticed them spitting out food like you did, and I was kind of worried about it, but after a while they settled in and started eating normally. I think if you give them some time they will be ok. Also, try feeding them and then stepping back from the tank- my rummies are very shy and skittish and that helped them when I tried it. HTH. :mrgreen:

IMO they are still stressed out from the move from the LFS to your home. I have never had a problem with tetras accepting food. If you are worried that they are not getting anything, I would feed them frozen baby brine shrimp. Make sure the package says baby on it. (The yolk sacks the babies have is more nutritious) When you feed them the shrimp, I would turn off the filters for 10 minutes so all of the shrimp doesn't get sucked up.
Good Luck. :bulb:

I use blood worms (frozen) when I get new fish...actually I feed frozen blood worms often. They really help to get the fish settled into thier new home.

And frozen ex-living thing will work..... sometimes they are not used to the brand of flak and take a bit of time to warm to them.

Megos's suggestion is excellent also.

Back
Top Bottom