Black rams !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lost female I left in the 20 with mate ?
Again why I get more the one pair....
Moved mate into 33 long and if the first jumper was male then I might be on even pairs again [5 now]? I think due to dark color the jumper was male but still trying to figure these guys out..
Possibly the post referring to not all black/true breeding is in reference to the ones not as dark as others ? I mean the 'non black' ones still have black accent or different ,more vibrant color then traditional GBR...

Free swimmers are still swimming so next couple days are key...
The 33 is active with 10 fish claiming spots.
It is running 2 air driven sponges [CAF 25] and 2 Aquaclear 20's.
I chose the 20's due to size. They fit in between the 2x4 of the stand on the sides of tank ..Couldn't get a 30 in there so this is fine IMO..
Glad to have them in a decent sized tank finally in just under 2 weeks !

Some fry are failing. Lost another suspected female overnight.
I had thought this could happen with fry. I will be happy if I get some from the first two sets I have hatched in D&Ps.Not sure what is going on with the 'adults' possibly they are just being very rough on each other .
They are still very tight.:nono:
I have fresh eggs this am from the 33L.
3vgRgad.jpg

Also expecting another set today or by tomorrow
w2XryKm.jpg

Here are a couple shots of them in super dark mode.
5olwQ7J.jpg

7s6seD8.jpg

GpepcWF.jpg

This is how the 33L is set up.
Bodvo27.jpg

Those are really some beautiful fish!!!

Thanks ..I have nothing to do with this up till now but do agree !
Fortunately being addicted to fish I know I am in good standing now. Otherwise I might feel a little funny lately ! I mean they are just fish ?
Nonsense !
Here are todays eggs laid last night at lights out.
reF9UWil.jpg

Oi6mMTMl.jpg

This looks to be the largest spawn yet which is a good sign in reference to fish growing themselves...
5nMaZwzl.jpg

All 9 accounted for this am.
I was so wrapped up in black when I went to NJ I never really paid much attention to other fish [rams ,rams ,rams].
So with a little understanding of this color strain under my belt " in my head " [ I have new thoughts on these guys and girls] I am considering a trip back to NJ today..
I will know by 10 or 11 this am if I am going.
I would really like to see their other stock and see if my thoughts have any merit.:whistle:

Getting even more?! Sheesh... )
:angel::brows::whistle:
There is a saltwater 'specialty 'store only 2.8 miles away to boot ! I am trying to plan this trip a little ? It is 6 hours round trip +... I like to go for rides :whistle:
CLu3qeml.jpg

XclTl5Gl.jpg

I am content with the # of blacks I have. The odd # thing is easily resolved once I see who is oddman out. I will just attempt to mate them with one of my GBR or EBR.. Next cross ?
I don't think they have long fins and I am not interested in golds or more EBR.
Mainly looking at their GBR to cross my line out true. Part of healthy stock with GBR is new blood .
I believe in my time with GBR I have crossed new blood 5 times so far.
All from high quality stock and thinking this supplier has quality fish probably not in my fishes lines ? That is hard to say for certain without 'pedigrees'.
Kind of why I always say where my fish come from. Certain suppliers count as a 'collection point' IMO since these fish are not collected from the wild.
IMO inbreeding is the cause of many issue in many fish from foreign and domestic suppliers . I am just doing what is commonly recommended in ram breeding info ? Seems to have been working well so far..
The ride is just another outlet of fun for me ! :dance:

Question.....do you sell and ship to Nevada?
I see no reason not to ?
I have shipped to Hawaii several times and California weekly.

I do enjoy driving the crossfire..:whistle:25 MPG also..
Only one ticket in going on my third year with it ?
Just got back from NJ with a few fish.
I got 4 more black rams all dark. They will go in a separate tank for now.
Also confirmed that much of the stock besides the black rams are from Danzinger discus farms .
So I got 2 pair of Danzinger GBR and Mathias the owner gave me a free female. So 5 GBR in total. They will go in separate tank.1 pair may lay eggs tonight. They had the whole tank squared off to 1/2 !
And to Danzinger one more time there was a fish I remembered from years ago little seen today.The Albino Dantum angel. This link is what they look like and explains the genetics behind them.. I got 6 they will go in the 55 to pair off..I am excited for these guys..
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...antum-angels&usg=AOvVaw1Mwc6srd_OyAOgP0vb1Nxy

The eggs from yesterday when first harvested spawn #6
5nMaZwzl.jpg

The eggs today
ELzeDmRl.jpg

That is not bad if you are willing to think the female may have had underdeveloped eggs or the male may be light or even just misses some eggs? He looked to passing right along side her so this is just how they go early on. I do not attempt to remove any of them . Pretty pleased day 2 with these .

No new eggs but I see who is next and the male is very dark !
Hatch # 1 had 5 left in D&P so I added them to the much happier looking #2 hatch.
I will guess 30 survivors so far with hopes for them IMO looking good. I am not going to get even close to 100% of the 30 but I can hope for over 10-20 if something doesn't go wrong...Here they are
v3NTaXol.jpg

TjxyBiEl.jpg

I am not sure in the pics but I can clearly see light and dark ones already !:dance:

Hatch # 5 that I thought was all bad has wigglers ! I will guess over 75% of the eggs went bad ,and I did not expect to see wigglers when I pulled the tray but there they were.. With the tray mostly vertical in the D&P the wigglers fall off the tray and often go behind it .Thinking maybe 30 wigglers..
ype4DbXl.jpg

The 4 new blacks are in a 10g still in higher TDS water .
With 9 in the 33 I am trying to decide if they should be allowed in choosing of mates or if I wait and pull the odd one out ? Since they are all super dark I am thinking to keep them separate unless aggression becomes an issue.. One was the absolute darkest of whole tank with a blue spot on its base of the tail so small it looks like a hole in the fin. Meanest fish in tank ! They do turn the blue on and off. I think so far when darkest they are trying their version of pail ? But it seems like they have 2 channels for color..Black and then the GBR color. I am waiting to see if I catch one for sure fish showing itself to me in all 3 modes..
I am not sold the darker are all male or female..I am not even sure they don't change a little if they want ? Still new to me so I just watch..They are tight!:hide:

Lol! Fish with thumbs, I'd bring them home too. [emoji6] all are another great selection!

No eggs today but the next pair won't be long.
Here are the eggs [#6] day 3
CoF2xZMl.jpg

You can see the tan blobs under the tray which are the wigglers that have fallen off.
It looks like a lot of bad eggs but not 50% in total so there should be 50- 100 wigglers !
Here are the free swimmers from 1&2
DwisYnWl.jpg

They are eating well.(y)
Expecting the next wigglers [#5] to free swim today.:whistle:
:dance::dance:

Back
Top Bottom