"Black Slime"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok i work at a petco...i know, i know :(

we have been open since october, and i clean the SW tanks every week, but i am only alowed to change 20% of the water. each coloum of tanks is connected to a sump w/ small skimmer and UV, along with mechanical and carbon filtration.

we are developing a black slime problem, on the glass, on the LR, of the decor, on the substrate...

ammonia = 0
nitrite = 0
nitrate = 10
phosphate = 0
ph=8.2

what can i do? i am not alowed to change the filtration or change out more water, and assuming it is photosynthetic the lights are on 12+ hours a day...

any advice is helpfull.... even if there is nothing i can do with my limitations!

thanks!

Hmm, tough situation but props for working to make it better!
When was the last time they changed the carbon?
Reduce the feeding.
How old are the bulbs?

I have some on my LR and I believe its a form of cyanobacteria.I might try my red slime remover see if that helps.I have seen that at a few petcos so it might be something equipment wise that all petcos use in common.And as for the working there well working to get aquatics dept. up to good standards is a great start (Of course the dates on the $1 per gallon tank sale would be great.I swear I will not tell your corperate;))

Hmm, tough situation but props for working to make it better!
When was the last time they changed the carbon?
Reduce the feeding.
How old are the bulbs?
i change the carbon every weekend
unforunatly i am not the only one who feeds the fish, who ever open the store in the morning feeds, if that is not me i have no control, and i know some people over feed, as sometimes there is food floating when i come in as much as 8 hours later! bulbs were put in in october.

p.s. i wish i knew when the $1 per gallon sale is, if i find out i will be sure to post!:cool:

I think that you should talk to your manager about having 1 person allocated to feed the fish. Not just anyone, if you do this the person will form more of an understanding of the stock and their requirements. For example, you feed the marine, someone feeds the fresh, and someone feeds the cats dogs and reptiles.

I could not have said it better spikey.Your mgr should understand that with marine tanks ONE person should maintain and feed plus you can high nitrates,extended maintanence times as well as extra days,ich,many diff parasites,as well as injured fish.Fish are like dogs,they will eat till full and eat more get sick and poss die so just because the look or act hungry does not mean they are underfed.If your mgr is worried about you only work 3 days a week well fish can go a day or two without food and not eat each other...I know the $1/gal is norm around this time of year mid july-mid sept but if you can get it ill have to crack into my 100 yr old jamacian rum and do a shot in your honor(y)

JDogg, First off ...good for you to try and make it better. I would first try to wipe as much off (blk slime algae) as I could then ask your manager that you think you should add some CUC's in there...nirites and some other snails. That should help with the overfeeding and some of that black slime like algae.
Is it "slime like" or really slime?

Back
Top Bottom