Blackmoor with popeye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy17

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok we'll I have a black moor that has cloud eye in both eyes and Popeye in his left eye. An I'm not very sure how to treat it so if anyone can help I'd greatly appercaite it.

My gear a 29 gallon

Aquaclear 300 rated for 40-70 gallons

Aqua tech 5-15 gallon filter

Tetra heater tank stays at 78

Parameters (exact numbers including ph)? Stock? Water change schedule (%/#wk)? A pic will really help as well!

Parameters (exact numbers including ph)? Stock? Water change schedule (%/#wk)? A pic will really help as well!

I don't have a test kit but the stock is 5 zebra danios who just stay at the top of the tank and don't even pay attenchon to the the moor and 5 platties that I'm trying to sell 3 Cory catfish and snails. I do a 10-15% water change once a week

Well, cloudy eyes in moors indicate very high toxin levels and your barely changing the water. With all these other fish in there, I can only guess what your parameters read. Please invest in an APi fw master test kit as soon as possible. For now, start changing the water 50% at time daily. Yes, daily. Make sure the new water is temperature matched and properly conditioned.

Bad news is, as his eyes are cloudy, this indicates they have been burned by high ammonia/nitrite/nitrate. We don't know which because you don't know your numbers. Moor's eyes are very sensitive to water parameters, especially ammonia and nitrate (even at nitrate levels of 10ppm), and they are easily chemically burned. This is not treatable and he likely is quite visually impaired (if not completely blind). What you can prevent is further eye trauma and the possibility of infection with constant water changes until you can address your stocking situation and place the rest of the tropicals elsewhere. He will need to be kept in this tank by himself with no sharp objects or anywhere he can get tangled with religious wcs. Please ask if you have questions!

Ok his eyes don't seem horrible at the moment an I'm trying to rehome the platies I just can't find anyone who is willing to take them. Same for the danios. I start the water changes and keep and eye out for further damage to his eyes ( no pun intended ). But could I keep the Cory's as my clean up crew.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom