Bleached Coralline Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Perrdav

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can too bright of light bleach coralline algae? I have a 37 gal with 26 3w Cree LEDs over it and it looks like my rocks that were covered in pink coralline have bleached white. Any thoughts? The first picture was taken a few months ago and the second is zoomed in of the rock on the top right taken today. TIA

Attachments

• image-236796300.jpg
    image-236796300.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 110
  • image-3788098712.jpg
    image-3788098712.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 95
mine did that also keep blowing them off with turkey baster , it gets messy but you'll be amazed when it all flakes off , well worth the mess , I got blues greens yellows pinks purples , I take it your tank is new , you'll see new things everyday , I found a tiny octopus I caught it before it gets big ,pet store gave me $30 . for it it was a stowaway with a piece of live rock
perfect time for a clean up crew

Different types of corraline algea, have different lighting requirements. Since you've changed your lighting, some of your old corraline will die off, and new corraline will take its place. As long as water chemistry remains good, mainly calcium and Alk. Corraline uses the same elements as corals for growth.
Your corraline should come back.
Good luck with your tank!

Thanks for the quick responses! The tank is about 6 months old, so yes, it is fairly new. I had no idea that coralline had different light requirements...I guess that's one of the best parts about this hobby...we learn something new every day! (y)

There are many types of corraline algea, and as far as I understand it, they all have their own little niche of parameters and lighting that they prefer.
As long as your corals aren't bleaching, I would think that once your tank adjusts to the light, you will see new corraline start to reappear.
I agree completely about the hobby. As with life you are never done learning. This keeps it interesting!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom