Blender Mush, Whats your recipie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m3drver

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to try feeding some blender mush for the first time.

I tried some squid and shrimps and nothing else. The mush came out more like a paste. and smelly :crazyeyes:. I put it in the freezer and i'm going to try it tonight when i feed the tank.

What does everyone put in their blender mush? Any tips on how to prepare it? as I said mine came out like a paste and I hope it will not just disintergrate when I feed the tank.

You most likely blended it too long. I have followed this basic recipe though I change it up depending on what's available at the fish store and what I have on hand at home. I use garlic Xtreme in place of fresh garlic. Also, for dry ingredients I only use zooplankton, phytoplanton and freeze-dried cyclops-eze. I do add some dulce and nori.

I put the mixture into silicone baker's moulds and freeze. I couldn't find the smal square size one so I cut each rectangle in half to make a cube. I put them in a freezer bag and add some baking soda to coat the cubes and keep them from sticking together. I then thaw a cube in tank water for 10-15 minutes before feeding. I shut down the main pump prior to feeding and leave it off for at least a half hour. I leave the power heads running to distribute the food through out the tank. Read the lower part for some more veggie ideas. I'll be adding some broccoli florets to my next batch.
----------------------------------
Reef Lady Blender Mush
Ingredients:
Several different kinds of raw fish and shellfish. Some examples that I commonly use are: fresh shrimp, scallops, clams, oysters, smelt, squid, and cod or other white fish. (Note: I don't use canned seafood, as this can be quite high in phosphates). I try to use the most oysters, clams, mussels, etc., and the least of the fish.
Note - you can "mix and match" these ingredients as you wish - or depending on what is fresh at the store.
2 or 3 raw garlic cloves.

Liquid - you can use water, or clam juice (if you buy bottled, make sure there aren't any additives).

Vitamins - I use "Zoe" Marine by Kent. I find Selcon (and Zoecon) to contain too many fatty acids - it clouds and pollutes the water too much for my liking.

3-4 sheets of raw Nori, and a few pieces of rehydrated (with tank water) Dulse. Nori alone, or a few small pieces of organic Romaine or baby Spinach leaves can be substituted.
Dry ingredients ~ depends highly on what I have on hand, but usually includes some of the following:
Golden Pearls, several different sizes - 3-4Tablespoons
Sweetwater Zooplankton (daphnia) - 3-4 Tablespoons
OSI Spirulina Flake Food 3-4 Tablespoons
VibraGro Saltwater Staple food - 3-4 Tablespoons
Kent - Platinum Reef Herbivore pellets (small)
Azoo Artifical Rotifera
Azoo Artifical Artemia
Make sure all your ingredients are as fresh as possible. Rinse your raw seafood well.
Basically, everything goes in the food processor. I usually add a little bit of the raw seafoods first, and blend to a fine consistency, add a little more, blend again, etc. I do this three of four times so there are several different particle sizes. I then break up the Nori and add that last with dry ingredients, and the the vitamins and liquid (if needed). You should get the consistency of wet mud.
Yes, it smells *bad*. :)
After you have everything mixed, and at the right consistency, you'll need to freeze it - however you want. I use the large plastic zipper lock bags. Put a few spoonfuls in, and spread it out so you have a thin (1/4" layer). Then, seal the bag and put it on a cookie sheet, or some other flat surface to freeze. After it is frozen, you can cut or break it up into the size chunks you want to use, and keep those frozen in the ziploc bag.

Note: A lot of homemade fish food recipes call for adding gelatin for consistency. I don't like it, and find that the food doesn't break up as well when thawed. If you want to add gelatin, Email me , and I can forward you a recipe that contains it.

Another note - I make this food with the intention that it will feed the entire "tank" - fish, corals, and all other invertebrates. However, given that we have three Tangs, I also insure that they always have a clip with Nori, Dulse, and organic baby spinach leaves to graze on.
You can make as much as you want at a time - I suggest making small batches, that way you know the food is always fresh.
------------------------------------------
I just use frozen broccoli fluorets from the grocers. Believe it or not all my fish eat the stuff including the trigger, although the clowns don't seem interested.
You can also alter the balance of a blender mush to weigh more on the side of herbavor items as apposed to meat. The scent can often be enticing to even the pickest eaters. Peas, carrots, spinach and such will easily blend with the meat and adhere to the mixture. Kinda like hiding meds in something sweet for kids. Steve-s
----------------------------------------------------
There is also a great article on how to make home made fish food with photos

This document is in HTML or in PDF format.

BTW, freezing will kill any parasites that may be found in the fresh seafood. Never feed the mixture before freezing.

Hope that helps

That's interesting about the Selcon clouding the tank. I have never had that issue. I do tend to put a little less than the recommended amount.

Yup, it will cloud up a bit, but it dissipates quickly.

For mine, I kept it simple.

5 white shrimp, whole/raw
3 clams (cherry I think?)
5-6 sea scallops
some flake to thicken a bit
Selcon to taste.

None of my fish would eat the squid so I scrapped that.

I would think that you might have processes it a little too long also I would suggest adding some more variety to it M3drver. I see some good recipes on the thread.

Cmor, wow thanks thats some great info. I'm going to give it another try, and this time I'll try some of these ingredients and blend it a bit less. I only have 2 Clowns and a couple of corals so I'll just make a small batch and see if they like it.

I see one of the ingredients is Garlic. instead of chopping it up in the blender, can i just used a garlic press instead? I just feel the blender/food processor will leave big pieces of garlic in the mush.

I would add the garlic right before feeding. I think the ingredient that helps boost the fish's immune system works better while it is fresh and will lose it's potency over time. For the life of me, I can't remember what it's called.

I would think that you might have processes it a little too long also I would suggest adding some more variety to it M3drver. I see some good recipes on the thread.

Yeah it looks that way. its my first time making mush and I was thinking the finer i make it the better but I was wrong. I guess i want to have pieces of various sizes so that it holds up in the tank water and lets the fish pick at the food bits

I would add the garlic right before feeding. I think the ingredient that helps boost the fish's immune system works better while it is fresh and will lose it's potency over time. For the life of me, I can't remember what it's called.

Makes sense... i'll give a try and see.

I use Garlic Xtreme the liquid form sold at the lfs or online retailers. It's really only the garlic oil (Allium Sativum Extract) that you need.

I use Garlic Xtreme the liquid form sold at the lfs or online retailers. It's really only the garlic oil (Allium Sativum Extract) that you need.

Ok I see now.. I just had this image of the fish picking at the bits of garlic...

So you just lace the food with a few drops of the Xtreme Garlic and you're good to go. Thanks for all the info Cmor( and everyone else too).

I fed the tank with the mush I made today. the fish and inverts seemed to love it. but I soon found out that its pretty easy to over feed the tank:rolleyes:. A small pinch goes a LONG way.

How do you guys know what they eat and what they don't? When I pureed my food, everything looks the same (except for the carrot and broccoli that I added). And I use one of those hand blender to make sure the end product isn't that mushy, which turned out to be a really good consistency. Once everything went into the tank, I can't tell the difference between a piece of shrimp or a piece of squid. For those that can, you guys must know something that I don't :). Because whatever my fishes don't eat, my clean up crew took care of.

The ingredients in Rod's Food are hard to beat. How is it packaged, flat; cubes?
What's the cost of the food (per pound?)?

I found a semi-local lfs (the place I got my set up from) that carries it. I'm going to head over there today and get some to try it out. Sure beats making my own if it's as good as I hear and reasonably priced (fresh seafood is expensive)!

That was an awesome response cmor1701d very helpfull.(The first post) I think I am going to print that one off and take it with me to the grocery store. Thanks

Thank you, but I can't take the credit for other people's work. All I did was post Reeflady's recipe with a few of my own comments.

I just bought a flat pack of Rod's Food. I'm going to try it tonight. At $20 for a 6 oz flat pack I think I will continue to make own in the future.

It comes packaged flat in an 8x6 zip top bag (similar to other flat-packed frozen fish food). There is no unit weight listed on the package. Retail is $19.99. I do know it also comes in a smaller flat package.

I was just about to go out to a LFS to find some of that Rods food.

Cmor, where in Jersey did you find it? Rods food website list only two locations in Jersey which aren't all that close to me.

Back
Top Bottom