Bloated belly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EnyaGirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
One of my shark/catfish looking fish (still unable to figure out exactly what it is, after looking at countless pictures on websites and books) has a very bloated belly today. At first glance, you would think it was pregnant, but I know that's not the case. I then thought gosh, maybe he ate another fish in the tank but nope, they're all there. What could this be?

Answer these Qs to ensure we have as much information as possible about your ailing fish and its environment:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? I'm not sure what kind of fish it is. It's got a long body, kind of shark like, with small whisker like things by it's mouth, like a combination of a catfish (but without the super long whiskers) and a shark of some sort.
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Ammonia and Nitrite are 0. Nitrates are a bit high, about 40.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? It's a 55-gal. Fully cycled about 2 weeks ago.
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known. Fluval 204
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? 4 mollys, 1 rainbow shark, 1 chinese algae eater, 1 red fin shark, and 2 of these shark/catfish ones that I've been unable to identify
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? I just did this last week (but am going to do it again today to lower the nitrates) Typically I do 15-20% weekly.
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? Fish came with the tank I inherited here at work last June.
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? No
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Tetra flakes and algae wafers. Just started adding the algae wafers last week or so.

Updating my post.... I think I figured out what type of fish it is. I think it's an iridescent shark catfish...pangasius catfish, about 2.5 inches long.

A pic is needed. Normally dropsy has scales sticking out but since this is a scaleless fish that is of no use to us in diagnosis. It wasn't bloated yesterday? I would start and see if I could get him to eat a frozen pea. Possibly constipation.

I tried feeding him frozen peas (i squeezed out the inner part), but he didn't eat it (while i was watching at least). The other fish were going crazy over them, but he didn't go near them. I separated him for a little while in the tank in his own little screened in area with the peas, but he didn't eat it then either. :( I did a PWC today and monthly filter maintenance, and didn't feed them (except for the peas). If he's still alive by tomorrow (fish tank is at work) when I get in, I will attempt to get pics (he swims fast tho!)

Back
Top Bottom