bloated goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akdebbie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My goldfish is bloated and has not pooped or eaten in quite some time. I withheld food from him and he still is bloated. He hangs out at the bottom of the tank and does not swim much. What to do to get rid of the bloat?
thanks

My goldfish is bloated and has not pooped or eaten in quite some time. I withheld food from him and he still is bloated. He hangs out at the bottom of the tank and does not swim much. What to do to get rid of the bloat?

thanks

He could be constipated, try some shelled peas.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick problems/loach and 5 tetras left.
~75g going to be African cichlids

Did you try breaking the peas up into tiny chunks?

Also try Lebanese cucumbers - my goldfish go crazy for them, and they are very fussy when it comes to their veggies.

Pic below of Spotty et al with their cucumber treat :0)ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423350627.854866.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can try an Epsom salt bath once a day. Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) works as a laxative and helps with fluid retention. It's available in any drugstore in the first aid section for about $1 for a box.

Mix 1 level teaspoon per gallon of water (use tank water) in a bucket and add him. Observe for 20 minutes then gently place him back in tank.

Are his scales lifted or rough looking? This will be more obvious if you look at him top down as they will appear to stick out. What do you normally feed him (specifically)? Do you have gravel or pebbles as a substrate? What do your parameters read? These questions are important to figuring out what is happening here and the best means for treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

tried that-doesn't seem to want to eat them
You must deshell the peas first. Its very easy just squish it in your fingers and you will feel the shell. Fish don't eat the shell. Also the Epsom salt bath like JLK said will work. I think its better to feed goldfish flake food rather than pellets. Goldfish have small stomachs but are vicious eaters. They will over eat when the pellets expand in their stomach once it gets wet.(y)

Back
Top Bottom