Bloated red phantom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bish67

Aquarium Advice Activist
One of my three red phantoms is extremely bloated...so much so that his eyes are protruding out too. The tank is 10 gallon...with 9 other fish....tetras and phantoms...all are well.
Tank is fully cycled ....water tested this morning and is near perfect with a PH of 7.2.
The poor phantom is struggling to swim...and eat and spends its time in the plants. Whats wrong with him...i assume its a condition rather than a disease?Not sure??Help please?

One question... Are his scales protruding from his body? In other words does he look like a pine cone? If so he has dropsy. Which is a condition where in poor habitat conditions or temperature changes or stress.I have a platy going through dropsy and I have given her a tablet called fungus guard which sounds weird but, that's what it is for. She seems to be doing better.
I hope this solves your problem.
Also that is a lot of fish in a 10 gallon which means he could have dropsy because of stress.

Thank you for reply....scales were protruding yes...sadly he went to the huge aquarium in the sky last night

Make sure you do a large water change. I agree that it sounds like dropsy brought on by poor water, you have too many fish in a 10 gallon.

Sorry about his death. Yeah you definitely have way to many fish.

9 fish in a 10 gallon tank is too many....isn't general rule of thumb one inch of fish per gallon? Though I know there is no hard and fast rule...just thought that smaller fish would be ok?

Well phantoms are 1 1/2 inches so that makes 9 too many and that is generally the rule but you still wan some extra room.

9 fish in a 10 gallon tank is too many....isn't general rule of thumb one inch of fish per gallon? Though I know there is no hard and fast rule...just thought that smaller fish would be ok?
That one inch of fish per gallon rule is really not something to base on. I would never use it. It makes no sense. You cant put a 12'' goldfish in a 12gallon, and you cant put it in a 50 gallon either, even for small fish, they grow 25%-80% of they're size. All i can say is to use you're common sense, it works a lot better.

Back
Top Bottom