Bloated Swordtails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaela21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 female swordtails and for the second evening in a row, they are both quite bloated. Any idea what may be causing this? Their feeding has been normal.

A little more info would help.
What are your water parameters (Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH)?
Are the fish eating/swimming normally?
Are there male swordtails in there too?
Are the scales sticking out like a pinecone? Are the eyes bulging?

Without this info and/or pics, it's hard to say. However, possible causes/steps to take are:
1 They're overfed or constipated/feed them a partially boiled, shelled pea and cut down on the amount of food you feed them.
2 They're expecting babies/congratulations!
3 They're suffering from an internal bacterial infection/quarrantine them ASAP and treat with kanacyn

PH = 7.2
Ammonia =0
Nitrates = 0

They are the only 2 swordtails in the tank, and are sharing it with 3 rainbows and 2 Cory's. The tank is about a month old, and all fish seem well. There are not other deformities with the swords. And the next day they are normal size and healthy looking and acting. This is the second time it has happened. The only difference is the Cory's which we put in 3 days ago, and we are feeding them a sinking shrimp pellet. The other fish of course go after the pellets, but they are also eating the flake food we give them. I am going to cut back on the flake food and see if that makes a difference.

If they're anything like my swordtails, it could just be from eating the extra food you've been putting in the tank. I have 3 swordtails (2 female and 1 male). I've been feeding them the same as I normally do, but I just added 3 larger fish to the tank... one of which is a pl*co that I've been feeding algae wafers. The swordtails have been eating the algae wafers as well and as a result look bloated after the fact! While I'd like them not to (and I've already fed them beforehand), I don't think there's anything I can do to stop them. Luckily enough, the pl*co still gets some as well.

Something to try is peas. I am peeling some for my fish right now! I use frozen peas, nuke them, peel them, serve! It helps move things through the digestive tract. The first time I tried it, the fish laughed at me, now they eat the peas with gusto! When feeding peas, have that as the only food for the day--even better, fast them the day before.

Back
Top Bottom