Blue Gourami Bullying Other Blue Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCiSH

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have two Blue Gouramis in my tank. The larger (one of my first ones in the tank) has made himself/herself a reputation for bullying other fish (ones with "fancy tails", but that was taken care of). Well, currently, he (assuming that it's a "he") only bullies one fish and it is a smaller Blue Gourami in the tank. It will chase this Gourami around the tank and occasionally nip at it and it's tail.

The smaller Gourami will try and lay at the bottom in, what looks like, an attempt to hide. However, the smaller Gourami will sometimes wait for the bigger one to actually make contact before trying to flee. I have taken the bigger one out of the tank and put him back in a few different times, but the same thing always occurs.

The two Gouramis will take a break with one on one side of the tank and the other on the other side.

I have seen the smaller one nip at the bigger one once or twice, but it is mostly the big one.

Are they actually fighting or is this something else? Is there a way to fix this instead of isolating the bigger Gourami?

I'm just getting started with Gourami but am getting familiar with their behaviors.

It sounds like you have two blue males in your tank. Some of the males can be very dominate and aggressive even to other fish. I have a deal with my lfs that if something doesn't get along in my tank I return for an exchange (or hopefully less aggressive fish).

With that said, I think you will have better luck if you learn to sex your Gourami. The females generally will have a rounded dorsal fin vs the males will have a more pointed dorsal fin. Also, the females belly's will be more rounded. Sometimes it's hard to tell if they are young fish and not developed.

You may try replacing/exchanging one of the blue males for a female and see if that doesn't stop the chasing and nipping.

I don't know if there's a limit on how many females can be together but I'm guessing having just one male might be the ticket.

Hope this helps. :)

Yes, it's actually fighting and the fish should be seperated. IME two dwarf gouarmis in one tank doesn't usually work.

I have kept lots of gourami. Like over 15. They always fight with themselves. I have one each of blue(3"), moonlight(4"), opaline(2") and gold(2") and they all get along good. The moonlight is the alpha of them but he only holds his ground, he dosent chase. So maybe try a gold or opaline.

Last edited:
its better to have females as they are less aggressive (from what i've read)

Back
Top Bottom