Blue Ram in 20 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calypso77

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What are your thoughts on a Blue Ram just 1 in with a Molly and 3 Platy's?

I asked before and was told just to do 1 which is fine with me just wanted to do a double check.

My tank is nearly cycled

Ph 8.2
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 20

We can not manage to ever get that ammonia away from being .25. Just will not happen, driving me nuts.

Does the ammonia go down after so long. .25 should dissappear in a day I would imagine.

I am not too sure. Right now we are only testing to tank maybe twice a week and doing water changes once or twice a week and everytime we test it is always those same readings been about this for 3 weeks now. Started the tank up in August doing fish in cycle.

If you want a GBR then you really need to wait a few months until you tank has time to mature. GBR's are very sensitive to nitrates so you have to keep up a good WC schedule. You could add a Bolivian Ram "after" your tank is fully cycled as they are harder than GBR's.

Ya not doing it right now. They didn't have any in store anyways.

The molly might be your problem. They have a rather high bioload and should really be kept in something like a 30 gallon. Other than that the only other thing I could think of that is keeping your ammo up is if your tap water has ammo in it? Even then your bacteria should be able to process it pretty easily.

No I think hubby checked the tap water and it was 0. My other tank is perfectly cycled so it can't be the tap water. Guess time will tell. :). Don't think it's my Molly as I just got her. This has been happening for 3 weeks.

The pH in your tank, regardless of the ammonia/nitrates/tankmates is also going to be a problem; German Blue Rams need a really low pH (lower than 7). Bolivian Rams, as has been said earlier in this thread, are hardier, and could probably stand a pH as low as 7.5. But an 8.0 pH is really not good for any cichlid from Central and South America. Have you considered getting smaller cichlids from Africa? They thrive in pH levels that you have going.

1 German Ram in a 20g would probably be fine, you need to get ammonia down to 0 first or the Ram will not last, your pH again is high for the Ram, it might adjust over time but will not look its best until the pH is lower - bogwood or peat balls with drop the pH naturally.

subbing another ram for the Molly would be cool, but too bad you already have the Molly :/

1 German Ram in a 20g would probably be fine, you need to get ammonia down to 0 first or the Ram will not last, your pH again is high for the Ram, it might adjust over time but will not look its best until the pH is lower - bogwood or peat balls with drop the pH naturally.

The pH in your tank, regardless of the ammonia/nitrates/tankmates is also going to be a problem; German Blue Rams need a really low pH (lower than 7). Bolivian Rams, as has been said earlier in this thread, are hardier, and could probably stand a pH as low as 7.5. But an 8.0 pH is really not good for any cichlid from Central and South America. Have you considered getting smaller cichlids from Africa? They thrive in pH levels that you have going.

We just ordered a Tap water filter to help with our ph.

subbing another ram for the Molly would be cool, but too bad you already have the Molly :/

Yep Molly is here to stay. :)

What filtration are you running? Do you vac the grave with water changes?

As others have said rams need stable conditions with good water quality. So I think that should be your first step. ;)

What filtration are you running? Do you vac the grave with water changes?

As others have said rams need stable conditions with good water quality. So I think that should be your first step. ;)

Marineland bio-wheel penguin 150 and yes I do vacuum the gravel.

Back
Top Bottom