BN Catfish illness??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnboy87

Aquarium Advice Newbie
IMG-20220622-200223.jpg

*EDITED WITH ANSWERED Qs*

Hi new here, just wanted to ask if anyone knows if my BN Catfish may be ill. I've noticed a milky white substance on her last night (mostly covered on top) today it seems concentrated to one side.
I was wondering if it may be a white spot or fungal.
Or if it may be some fish egg substance on her from what she layed. She did have a batch of eggs but my yoyo louch has decided they're tasty.
Could could she be covered in the eggs contents etc if she put up a fight?

Thanks in advance.

1~What type of fish is afflicted? Female Bristlenose Catfish, as diribed above.

2~What are your tank parameters? All parameters are in acceptable levels with exception of water hardness which is a little high.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 250 litres and has been set up for about a year.

4~What type of filtration are you using? AllPondSolutions external filter EF1000+ 9w uv bulb.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? 28 fish, 3 neon tetras 2cm. 3 BN catfish, female 2 inch, males 1/1.5 inches. 2 Goldern barbs 2/3 inches. 2 rainbow sharks 4/5 inches. 2 yoyo loaches 4/5 inches. 2 clown loaches 2 inches. 3 black widow tetras 2 inches, 4 silver tip tetras 2 male 2 female 2/1 inch. 1 daino 1.5 inch. 4 red nose rummy 0.5/1 inch. 3 Cory's 1 albino, 1 peppered, 1 striped 1/1.5 inch.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? 3 days ago, water change once a week about 5%/10% and vacume clean the glass once a fortnight.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? The female catfish in question I have had a little over a year.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? Added a new decor pirate ship yesterday, I rinsed it thoroughly with hot water before putting it in the tank.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Pellets and flakes, no change to diet.

Attachments

• IMG_20220622_155802.jpg
    IMG_20220622_155802.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:
Update, what ever it was has practically disappeared now in a matter of less than 24hrs. So I'm not include to think it was an illness. I guess I'll monitor it and see if anything develops.

Back
Top Bottom