Boesemani & Torqoise Rainbowfish questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dale_I

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been looking to round out my tank and Rainbowfish went on sale at the LFS. They didn't have 5 Boesemani, but it was suggested that I could round out the school with Turquoise (sometimes known as Lake Kutubu) Rainbowfish, which I did.

First, the tank is a 55 gal corner bow-front. Cycled and running with consistent 50 percent water changes minimum once a week, or alternately a 30 percent twice a week, depending on how busy my Wednesdays are. Fluval 304 with Prefilter stones in the bottom and Biomax tubes in the two upper containers. A UG filter with two 200 gal power heads, one with aeration, and about 2.5 to 3 inches of gravel. API master kit tests regularly with all numbers good (if I need to specify I can).

Lots of places for privacy with a 3 level purple slate grotto in the back, a small cave made from a piece of slate inserted into the gravel with some empty space under it. A hollow foot and a half sunken ship in the center with plenty of "ins" and "outs". Lots of fake plants with two large wood pieces, one Mopani and the other Malaysian. (See pics in profile if needed)

Fish: 8 Cardinal Tetras, 7 Gold Barbs, 3 Otocinclus, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, and 1 Mystery Snail. Just added: 3 Boesemani Rainbow, and 2 Turquoise Rainbow.

Question 1: They seem to be schooling after acclimating them. Is it true that the two types will school together? To be honest, even some of the larger Gold Barbs seem to have taken a liking to the Rainbows and are following them around almost schooling with them. But, if I should maintain a single specie school of 5, I don't have the space for 5 of each and will need to pick one or the other.

Question 2: The Dwarf Gourami seems to be upset and aggressive. I know he is just mandating his prominence over "his area", but do others that have both of these had problems long term.

After I fed everyone this evening the Gourami seemed to be more accepting of the newbies, but one Rainbow is definitely in deep hiding inside of some plants. The other four have been free swimming the tank, keeping an eye out for the Gourami.

Fortunately, the Rainbows are quick and agile swimmers and tired the Gourami out after a couple hours. I think things will settle down once territories have been established.

Question 3: I see it mentioned that a tank of at least 4 feet should be used if schooling Rainbows. My tank is obviously a bow-front corner with side depths of 27 inches and a frontal bow length of 42 inches. It seems adequate to me, but others that have kept Rainbows may be a better judge than I.

Any other comments? I tried researching as much as I could read, but (as most of you know) there is conflicting data.

Question 1: Yes, they will school. I have Australians, Bosemanis, Turquoises, and hybrids. No issue with them not schooling together. My PP danios also school with them nicely. So, it's normal for other fish to join in on the group.

Question 2: I know that dwarf gouramis are aggressive and nippy. I have never kept one myself, but the rainbow fish will have no issue keeping up with this. Someone with experience with them will chime in, I'm sure.

The rainbow hiding: I would watch that guy. How long have you had these fish now? He may have some ich or something else. Just keep an eye because it is not normal for them to hide/not school during daylight hours.

Question 3: I have mine in a 55g no problem (it's one of the regular basic rectangles, though). I have a planted tank with over filtration, so I have the means to overstock, IMO. I feel like your tank is at a good spot with stocking. Maybe add two more rainbow fish, if you would like. They swim frequently and I don't see an issue if they are making more of a circle than going up and down a line.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply. I had them in the tank for a few hours and all 5 were swimming and being chased by the Gourami. I noticed one missing and started to look for him, but wasn't too worried because there are lots of hiding places and figured he got tired of the Gourami. An hour later I went for a count and couldn't find him, and another half hour I got serious about searching the tank.

My wife spotted him but I left him alone since he's new to the tank and might be a little stressed by the Gourami. I have a Marineland doublebright LED and I turned the daytime lights off and kept the blue moonlights on figuring everyone would calm down. They did, but I'll check on him first thing in the morning.

The LFS has had these in stock for a while, definitely over a few weeks, and they were swimming and healthy looking in their tank. He may be sick, but I think he may just need some adjustment time. For now, I'm off to bed and hopefully they will all find their place and return to a peaceful existence again.

Update: All 5 Rainbow are out today. The Dwarf Gourami is much less aggressive. I guess he showed everyone who's boss and is satisfied with the results.

The Rainbows seem to be schooling together, both Boesemani and Turquoise, as a single group. Two of the larger Gold Barbs are tagging along like they are part of the family and everyone is much happier than last night.

The Boesemani need to mature to full coloration, but the Turquoise are absolutely beaming with a thick dark stripe running down their length. My stock level is max'ed out for now. I may add a few shrimp for cleaning, but thanks to all in this forum.

This forum has, by far, been the most cordial and helpful of any. Kudos to the site administrator and the people who watch over us. :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom