Bolivian rams question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lego7979

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Since appistogramma are out of the question for me because I own large south American fish and have kribs, next I found the German or gold rams . Do German gold rams have egg spots on their fins or do I have diseased fish? After about a twenty five pictures , this is what I have ......

image-2007330146.jpg

image-685294864.jpg

image-1560730756.jpg

These little guys do have big personally . The swim right beside the big peaceful fish . I really think they are going to be able to live in harmony because I have no large fish with personalities that like to be chasers . If they were a chaser I gave it to the LFS . I also have kribs that have been doing great with the large parrots, and gold sevrum, and rotkeil . But the real question is this fish have something or no?

i think the one with tail spots is diseased with finrot on immediate assumption. i think you should qt IMMEDIATELY as it can be fatal... even if i am fully wrong and its just wierd patterning. fin rot is contagious and you have pretty and compatible fish in there. dont risk it, please qt it and get better pics of the tail, please x

Oh thank you , well since I don't have a qt, I did put three of the parasite fungus tablets in my tank since those fish are delicate and young I didn't use the maximum amount . One fish is mow clear completely but the oth has some stuff left on his tail fin , think I should just milyafix and pimafix it up ?

Raise your temp a bit and use salt... The use of chemicals are a last resort...

I think you have ich, not tail rot. Tail rot is diagnosed by frayed tail/fins that also develop white edges. Ich shows up as white spots on the fish. Thus, I think you have ich.
I suggest you try to treat it with heat first. Raise the temp to 88 degrees slowly and leave it there. The symptoms often looks worse after a day or so, but then should decrease. Dont quit treating until a week after the symptoms are gone. YOu can also use salt or other meds at the same time, but that depends on what else lives in the tank. Plants, inverts, and many sensitive fish (including rams) do not do well with other meds.

i agree IME... the fins look in fine shape while the white spots are closer to the body and not the edge of the fins... again raise the temp and use salt... natural methods are best...

umm what about the fact i only see the white on the fins and the fins are ragged (the top one mostly)? yes natural methods are best but he hasnt mentioned about anything on the body.

if it were fin rot the white would be at the end of the fin... its not, its all over the fins...

It looks like it might be a bit of fungus. I've had this happen on some new fish while transitioning them. My solution has always been salt, about 1 tbsp/5gal and/or a methylene blue bath.

It does kind of look like ich but I'd need clearer pics to be sure, ich looks literally like salt grains.

Yeah I don't see any fin damage at all. Their fins look to be in great shape, other than the white spots, of course. I'd have to say it's definitely a fungus or ich.

lego7979, il b in the corner. listen to the smart people, the ones not burning with a bit of shame.
im sorry for being so pushy etc, i thought i knew more than i did xxxx

Absoluteangel, is your signature "I didn't kill him, it was the fish!" from southpark? I know it's off topic, but I was just wondering. :)

Ok I bought a qt tank and used some of the same water from my 125 gallon tank , how long does it need to cycle ? It's a ten gallon with a Penn plax sponge and floss filter and heater .

Back
Top Bottom