Bolivian rams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandicorn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys, I'm currently planning on getting a breeding pair of bolivian rams. I have: 5 Peppered cories, 2 Neon tetras, 8 Rummynose tetras. I will be adding 5 bolivian rams, hopefully to get a pair. BUT, I will be going to china on June 9th, I have the WC's and such covered. Will the 5 BR overstock my tank, cause too much aggression, or anything else? How long does it take for BR to pair? I will try to get 2 males 3 fm via. Vents, but any other info is appreciated. Thanks!

Whoopsies! Tank size: 45 planted, DW, will post pics tomorrow. Hagen Fluvel 306

Cichlids in general will attack other fish that come near the fry so fast moving tank mates would be advised.

I've heard that rams in general (especially Bolivians) are MUCH more peaceful, no?

I have 3 Bolivians and they have never harmed a fish in my tank. But they have never mated.

Hey, so my LFS can actually ORDER fish for me (Awesome, huh?) So should I just ask them for 5 BR, and just keep them? What if one pairs up, will they still all get along?

How much does you LPS charge? If you're not too partial to Bolivians you could order German blue rams. I know a decent breeder that you can actually order already pared GBRs for a decent price.

How much does you LPS charge? If you're not too partial to Bolivians you could order German blue rams. I know a decent breeder that you can actually order already pared GBRs for a decent price.

I know the same breeder. He's got a pretty good rep actually... But aren't GBR much more delicate, reclusive, and require higher temp? I've been told they are best for species only...

It's true that they are not as hardy as bolivans. But it's still easy to care for them as long as you keep your tank in shape. German blue rams are fine in communities. I have a South American tank. The temp is 82 degrees. I currently have Bolivians but I'm going to mix in GBRs over the summer.

The fragility of GBRs is a little exaggerated. It's true that they're more sensitive to water parameters, but assuming your tank is fully cycled, mature (4+ months old is preferred), and you keep your nitrates under control then keeping a pair of GBRs shouldn't be a scary thought. They're perfect for community tanks, particularly ones with live plants. With that said there are a number of people who have bad experiences with GBRs often because the supply stock itself is quite bad. But a local breeder who avoids things like hormone injection can be the perfect place to buy a healthy pair.

Got any coupon codes? How would they handle the 2-3 day shipping, and a perm temp of 78 f?

Back
Top Bottom