Bolivians Rams...Dare I?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been dying to go to a trop fish mtg
Me too! The ones around here seem to be for salties so I guess I will have to drive to D.C. I think it would be worth it, tho.

*sigh*

One of the blues is sick. I'm pretty sure its columnaris; his poor lil mouth is very light colored and swollen. Thing is, I also bought yoyos this week, and they're in the QT tank. I may have to treat the entire 25g tank *cringe*

Does anyone have a recipe for homemade medicated fish food? I'm thinking, if I place him in a breeder net and try medicated food, I can be sure if he's eating it (and everyone will be fed it as well), and it won't muck up my bacterial colonies too badly. None of the local places here have any, and if I order I prob won't get it till Monday; Sunday would be the earliest and I need to do something ASAP.

Bummer... :( I know this was one of your concerns without having a QT available.

Why is it so dang hard to find healthy German Rams??

Wish I could help... for what its worth, I don't think the Bolivians are overly sensitive to meds. Mine have been treated for a coupla different things since I got 'em. :roll:

From my poking around, Blue Rams are very sensitive to meds, and Bolivians take meds OK. Treat medicine at half strength for Blues. I say treat the whole tank for the full duration, or you can end up like me and have a Columnaris infection that just will not go away and kills one fish at a time just when you think it finally stopped. Initially, some people on this forum reccomended that I treated the entire tank for a few extra days and I did not listen as well as I should have :(

Kanacyn gets absorbed through the skin of fish, if your fish stop eating. You can always work on rebuilding your good bateria later. You have a few tanks so it will not be hard to re-establish a tank if you do decide to treat the whole thing.

Feh, no Kanacyn atm. Only thing I have in the house is Maracyn and Maracyn2. Do I wait till tomorrow? Or use the Maracyns now? Argh. I feel like i need to do something ASAP, but would rather use Kanacyn.

*grumbles*

*sigh*

Woke up, and the lil guy had keeled overnight; expected it really. He went from looking ok in the morning, to having signs of columnaris 12 hours later; I figured it was a really virulent form (is why I was desperate to treat him last night). So I'm off to take his lil bod to the lfs I got him from, and see if they have anything with acriflavin or kanacyn to treat the rest of the tank. Ugh, and I'm supposed to catch an 11 am train this morning.

I'm sorry, Alli... I had hoped you'd have better luck with your blues than I had with my golds. :(

One of these days I'm going to find some German rams that have been domestically bred and give them another try. The ones bred in Asia (where most of them come from, apparently) are so weak by the time they get here, its so hard to even give them a fighting chance. Until then, I'll stick with my Bolivian guys.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your remaining blue will hang tough with your Bolivians!

Thanx Madame_X; I appreciate the sympathy.

I'm just slapping myself for rushing things and QT them directly in the planted tank. When I bring him back, I'm grabbing a cheap filter and heater so I have a backup for when my usual QT is occupied (like it is now; and funny, the Petsmart yoyos in it are doing fine. go figure).

Let this be a lesson to everyone LOL Impatience is NOT a virtue!

Alli - so sorry to hear about your little blue. I hope the rest of your guys don't get sick. Patience is SO HARD! :(

That is such a bummer! Sorry to hear about that, but hopefully you can save the rest of them and get a nice little community going in there. Best of luck -(y)

Alrighty; I'm back from the chocolate show and am just buzzing along here LOL 4 hours of choc will do that *grin*

Before I left tho, I dosed the tank with Furan 2. I did some research, and the furans may be effective with Columnaris, as its a gram negative bacteria and thats what the furans target (Maracyn aka erythromycin targets gram positive bacteria, so I didn't bother with it, and just wasn't sure how effective the Maracyn2 would be). I turned the lights off as its apparently a light sensitive med (hope the plants will be ok for a few days). I'm still a little worried bout the other blue ram; its dark spot is really faint, and the one that died also had lost its spot before it started getting sick, but there was very little time between losing that spot and the obvious signs with the dead one; this one isn't showing signs yet so....*fingers crossed*

So everyone is alive tonite; lets hope they remain they way!

Heh, thats the first link I bookmarked TankGirl.

Lost the other blue an hour ago; he hung on all day (moved him into a breeder net so he could be near the top and in water with more O2), but keeled in the end. I'm watching the Bolivians carefully; 3 look great, one is sorta hanging out near the surface and worrying me. Color looks good, and it isn't breathing heavy, but still its strange.

LOL and I'm amazed I survived it. All those samples...*drool*...chocolate bars, truffles, ice cream, cookies, liquor, you name it. Even chocolate clothing. I can't wait for next year *grin*

Heh, thats the first link I bookmarked TankGirl.
I should have known! :wink: Well, it is a good article for anyone interested in rams who is following this thread. I am fixin' to get myself some kribs and was re-reading the companion article on them and thought I would pass it along.

Ooo kribs...cool!

Turned the tank lights for a minute (have to keep em off since Furan 2 is light sensitive) to take a look, and the new Bolivian has a nasty case of cloudy eye. Ugh. I guess the answer to my post Bolivian Rams...Should I? should have been no LOL

The initial 3 do look good tho, so we'll see...

:D I just read the link. Excellent. I'm picking up 3 pairs of rams tomorrow for my planted discus tank.

Man the rams are really sensitive or what? I am sorta considering them for my tank.. you cans ee the tnak specs at the post: "Can you think of a fish that would appreciate this". I have super filtration and planting, but is there something else that they love/hate?

Allivymar said:
Ooo kribs...cool!

Turned the tank lights for a minute (have to keep em off since Furan 2 is light sensitive) to take a look, and the new Bolivian has a nasty case of cloudy eye. Ugh. I guess the answer to my post Bolivian Rams...Should I? should have been no LOL

The initial 3 do look good tho, so we'll see...

Hang in there, Alli... :puppydogeyes: I know it sucks (I was pretty bummed when I lost both of my gold rams) but the Bolivians are much hardier. They're tough little guys--I'm confident they're gonna pull through for you!

Hi Allivymar,
I'm sorry the blue rams died :cry: I hope the bolivian ones are ok, and the one with the cloudy eye recovers quickly! I liked reading about how they were still asleep in the morning!

Back
Top Bottom