boogety48's Sick Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boogety48

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just found my betta laying on his side. I put him in QT and now its just a waiting game to see if he'll make it through. I can't tell whats wrong with him. He has no messed up fins, no white fuzz, no ich. He was just laying there. As soon as I put him in QT though he started swimming around and looks ok now, so I guess we'll see.

He's sitting at the top now. He's not moving around but he's breathing. I think he's just lazy. He likes sitting on the bottom of his one gallon he was in and I moved him over to my 10 gal and he was fine for a month but he doesn't like having to stay around the top. I think he was protesting being in there so I put him back in his one gal.

Nice set up in the 5 gal. I like the color of your gravel but I'm a sucker for blue lol.

Need more info

I just found my betta laying on his side. I put him in QT and now its just a waiting game to see if he'll make it through. I can't tell whats wrong with him. He has no messed up fins, no white fuzz, no ich. He was just laying there. As soon as I put him in QT though he started swimming around and looks ok now, so I guess we'll see.

Sorry to hear about your fish. I need more info to offer you correct advice.
1) When was the last water change before this happened?
2) What was the temp of the water when you found him on his side?
3) Do any fins look clamped (even slightly?)
4) What was the water temp that you moved him in to?
5) Are you using any salt in the water?
6)Was the fish eating the day before you moved him? If so, what food?
7) What kind of container was he in and in now?
8) How old is the fish?
We can move on from here....

Wrong

He's sitting at the top now. He's not moving around but he's breathing. I think he's just lazy. He likes sitting on the bottom of his one gallon he was in and I moved him over to my 10 gal and he was fine for a month but he doesn't like having to stay around the top. I think he was protesting being in there so I put him back in his one gal.

Nice set up in the 5 gal. I like the color of your gravel but I'm a sucker for blue lol.

Sorry, but you are humanizing the fish. They don't think in those terms. If they are not acting "normal", it's because either they or their environment is not healthy. That's all it is. Now you have to become the detective and figure out which it is.

Sorry for the harsh truth :(

Sorry to hear about your fish. I need more info to offer you correct advice.
1) When was the last water change before this happened?
2) What was the temp of the water when you found him on his side?
3) Do any fins look clamped (even slightly?)
4) What was the water temp that you moved him in to?
5) Are you using any salt in the water?
6)Was the fish eating the day before you moved him? If so, what food?
7) What kind of container was he in and in now?
8) How old is the fish?
We can move on from here....

Here's the info:
1)Saturday
2)81-82 degrees
3)Yes he was clamped up laying on his side in the corner of the tank
4)75ish
5)No I put some bettafix in the water
6) Yes, he eats betta pellets. Thats all he'll eat, he's very picky.
7) He was in a 10 gal and now he's in a one gal.
8)I've had him about six months.

Sorry, but you are humanizing the fish. They don't think in those terms. If they are not acting "normal", it's because either they or their environment is not healthy. That's all it is. Now you have to become the detective and figure out which it is.

Sorry for the harsh truth :(

Its ok, I know something is wrong because he doesn't act like that normally. Just cracking a joke to try and calm my nerves. Now he's just sitting in one spot with the top of his head out of the water. He hasn't moved in 45 minutes. He's resting on a plant but he's not moving his fins or anything. I poke the water next to him to make his move a little so I know he hasn't died.

Here's a couple of pics of what he's doing. Maybe this will help.

Attachments

• P1170496.jpg
    P1170496.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 47
  • P1170497.jpg
    P1170497.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 45
Here we go....

Here's the info:
1)Saturday
2)81-82 degrees
3)Yes he was clamped up laying on his side in the corner of the tank
4)75ish
5)No I put some bettafix in the water
6) Yes, he eats betta pellets. Thats all he'll eat, he's very picky.
7) He was in a 10 gal and now he's in a one gal.
8)I've had him about six months.

For starters, the higher the temp, the faster bacterial infections grow. 81-82 degrees is not that hot when you compare it to the 90-95 degrees my fish outdoors in the summer in FL have to go through so we can only assume that the conditions in the 10 gal were not up to snuff for him since you said he was in there for about 1 month.
My suggestion would be as follows:
Lower the water level to about 1/2 the height of the bowl (this will make it less strenuous for the fish to come to the surface to breathe.
Prepare a gallon of water with 1/2 teaspoon of non iodized salt and let stand for a few hours to match the temp of the current water temp in the bowl (assuming the bowl has no heater.) If using a heater, put heater into gal of water to warm it up.
If the fish is still eating, I prefer to use a product called FURAN-2. It is an antibiotic that treats both gram+ and gram- bacteria. If you cannot get that, I also use Jungle's Fungus Clear that I get at my local Walmart. It contains the same nitrofurizone that FURAN-2 uses. If you need to go this route, take the pill (which is designed to treat 10 gal of water) and cut it into 4 equal pieces. Use a measurable amount of water in a cup(I use a turkey baster assigning 1/2 oz of liquid for 1 gal water) and dissolve the 1/4 pill in enough water for 2 1/2 gal. water to be treated. When dissolved, you'll notice some "grit" at the bottom of the cup. Stir medication to disperse this grit and remove 1 gal worth of medicated water with floating grit and add to your gal container. (Grit is one of the other meds in the pill) When temp is set, put your fish in this water. Reduce feeding to once per day and use remaining medicated water to change bowl in 2 days. Repeat treatment as necessary using remaining dissolved med water. (hint: make sure the water amount in the med remains the same for 1 1/2 gals of water. If water eveporates, just replace the amount that evaporated prior to use.)
If the fish has stopped feeding:
Use a combination of Erythromycin and Maracyn 2 for SALTWATER fish. Maracyn & Maracyn 2 for SW have vitamins and medication that are absorbed through the skin. Follow the directions on the packages. (You can either prepare a larger volume of water or proportion it down as in above directions.)
If the fish is not too far gone, 1 of these treatments should fix the problem. Once the fish is healthy again, return the water level to normal.

If using the turkey baster method, YOU CAN NOT USE THAT BASTER AGAIN for human food so don't grab your Mom's/Wife's favorite holiday baster!!! I get mine from the dollar store and just use it for my fish.

I should point out that I have not had much success with the Meds that are designed specially for Bettas. I'm all for Holistic fish keeping but if kept properly, there should be no need for treating your fish other than with the salt (which is part of their chemical makeup anyway.) If they get sick, you need quality meds.
As for proper housing, if you have a long finned Betta, you have a fish that has to exert a huge amount of energy to swim. You will need to feed more food per day to your fish than someone with the same type in a bowl. If you are feeding more, you are creating a dirtier environment and cleaning and filtering are paramount to your fish's health. If you are not feeding more, you are making your fish struggle on meager rations which will lead to multiple problems down the road. While each is doable, your care techniques has to adapt to each way. For me, I prefer shallow water for my Bettas.
Hope this helps...

Sorry didn't notice all this got moved over...

I feed him a few times a day as long as he'll eat what I put in there. I'll try the salt. I'm just afraid of using to much. I'm going to leave him out of the 10 gal from now on. Thank you for helping me out with all this. I'll look at see if I can find the FURAN-2 or the Jungle Fungus Clear. My Walmart doesn't sell a lot of fish stuff but I'll check there and PetSmart.

Back
Top Bottom