Borneo Sword bad for aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultratonic1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all, I recenty purchased a borneo Sword and have learned that it is not a true aquarium plant. Can anyone verify? Is it dangerous to place in the tank?

I'm not sure about the Borneo Sword, but any non-aquatic plant will eventually just rot and pollute the tank. If it is a non-aquatic, then I wouldn't think that it is an immediate risk, but it will probably just eventually die. If it was purchased at PetCo in a plastic container then it is most likely a non-aquatic. :|

that's exactly the kind I got. Why on earth would petco sell something that's not fit for an aquarium. I want my money back.

ultratonic1 said:
that's exactly the kind I got. Why on earth would petco sell something that's not fit for an aquarium. I want my money back.

Go tell them this, and demand to see the manager if they refuse.

The issue is, many LFS's arent' even educated on aquatic plants, so its hard to expect a chain store with employees who may not be fish enthusiasts, to be any more educated.

Plus, petco sells these marginal or non-aquatic plants for use with the salamanders, frogs and other semi-aquatic critters that they sell.

It really comes down to 'buyer beware'...or rather 'buyer needs to be the smartest one there'. Know what you're getting. If you don't, then either don't buy it, or accept the fact that you may be purchasing a non-aquatic.

lesson learned. There are so many plants that will grow in aquariums i can't see why they would bother to sell ones that don't. I'm getting a java fern. :x

ultratonic1 said:
lesson learned. There are so many plants that will grow in aquariums i can't see why they would bother to sell ones that don't.

Like I said, those plants are for ponds, or terreriums for newts, salamanders, frogs, etc. They just fail to clearly label them as such, which IS their mistake.

Back
Top Bottom