Bottom feeder, gravel tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

illuzion7

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my question...I have a relatively new tank with 13 tetras. It is 55 gallons and it has a relatively higher water flow. (220GPH canister and a 425GPH pump) I have soft spots in the tank built for "hanging out". I want to get something that will assist with eating the leftovers from my java moss, driftwood, and gravel. I am thinking freshwater shrimp because it is gravel, but have thought about pleco or catfish.

Ideas?

Plecos wont do much for cleaning moss. You would deffinitely need shrimp or small loaches for that. What kinds of tetras are they? What else do you plan on putting in the tank? This matters because a lot of fish cant be with shrimp. If you plan on keeping all smaller community fish then shrimp would be the best option. Dwarf chian loaches, yoyo loaches, kuhli loaches and striatia botia would all work.

Cleaning Crew

So my question...I have a relatively new tank with 13 tetras. It is 55 gallons and it has a relatively higher water flow. (220GPH canister and a 425GPH pump) I have soft spots in the tank built for "hanging out". I want to get something that will assist with eating the leftovers from my java moss, driftwood, and gravel. I am thinking freshwater shrimp because it is gravel, but have thought about pleco or catfish.

Ideas?

Hello illuz...

I'd cast a vote for Corydoras, the little cats. A hundred or even more different species. A size for most tanks. I keep several kinds in my planted 55 G tanks. They're a great cleaning crew. I also keep some Ramshorn snails.

B

I'm also a fan of Cory cats. Their antics are terrific entertainment and they make a fine cleaning crew.

I might suggest a clown pleco and a couple of Red Cherry Shrimp or Red Crystal Shrimp. Maybe a snail or two too. I have a 25 gallon tank with driftwood, two moss balls, gravel, and a fake tree root thing with a clown pleco, two snails, and I am getting shrimp so if my tank can handle it, yours certainly can! I enjoy my clown pleco because it is very shy and I enjoy trying to find it.

Thanks everyone for the advice! I went with 3 yoyo loaches. Here in Hawaii, things are hard to come by. These guys are crazy and seem hungry. They love the water flow and swimming up and down my horizontal air wand. I am going to get algae disc's tomorrow, hope this works out. It seems like playful fun with tetras, but not sure how the tetras see it. It is just chasing on occasion..but when the loaches are grouped up they just mock each other.

Back
Top Bottom