Brand New Tank Glass with White Haze

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ianeberle

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yesterday I just bought a new aquarium, stand, filter, and gravel at Petco and it's been set up for about 12 hours. I am using the Eco Complete Planted Substrate and it specifically said not to wash the substrate before you put it in the tank. I did not wash it and it made my tank water completely white (see images attached). After about 12 hours, the water is clear (thanks to the filter) but there is a white haze on the glass.

I've tried wiping it with sponges and algae pads, but it doesn't seem like something that wipes off.

The only thing in my tank is a small baby dwarf tear plant and a ball of java moss. No fish yet as I am letting the tank sit for about 48 hours before adding a snail and then adding ottos about 3 days after the snail... I want to make sure I properly cycle this tank before adding the shrimp I want.

Substrate I have:
Eco Complete Planted Black Aquarium Substrate - Aquarium Rocks and Fish Tank Rock from petco.com

Attachments

• IMG_20121009_193929.jpg
    IMG_20121009_193929.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_20121010_064157.jpg
    IMG_20121010_064157.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_20121010_064208.jpg
    IMG_20121010_064208.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 110
Did you wipe down the tank before filling it up? I always wipe it down with wet paper towels to get anything left behind from the manufacturing process off the glass/seams. Scrubbing with an algae scraper didn't remove it? Does it look like hard water stains?

I've seen that before and it's not from the Eco-complete, I use that in most of my tanks. If you have a algae magnet just use it normally and the glass should be clear. Or just a paper towel or two would probably work. Never understood why this happens but once the glass is wiped it's usually fine.

When I get home I'm going to do a 50% water change or so and wipe the sides really well. I never cleaned it out before I filled it, I just took it from the box, dumped in the substrate, and filled it with water. I'll scrub it really well later and see what happens.

I should add I used two bags of Eco in my 30g and never had any cloudiness issues and I didn't add the water clearer packet or whatever it is called.

Back
Top Bottom