brand new tank.. wobbles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angel4335

Aquarium Advice Regular
my boyfriend bought me a new tank a few months ago (you might remember i was on here around that time asking questions about fish) anyway, we have just now gotten around to taking it out of the box and stuff, and well, it doesnt sit level. how big of a problem is this? i mean. once filled with water will it matter? or should it be taken back? can it be taken back after so long??

well... is it on a level surface? if it is, i shouldnt really matter, but if it was me, only cause i am obsessive compulsive, i would try and exchange it.... how big of a tank is it

the surface is.. pretty level, and the tank is 29gal

im not really sure if we can exchange it, concidering we bought it maybe 3 months ago, and have just now gotten to take it out of the box.

rollin_22 said:
well... is it on a level surface? if it is, i shouldnt really matter, but if it was me, only cause i am obsessive compulsive, i would try and exchange it.... how big of a tank is it

How much does it wobble? Does it have feet? Could it possibly be missing a glide under the stand on one of the corners? Glides are the little plastic things that help protect the wood edges when being slid.

its not much really, just a bit, i was wondering if we should maybe put a towel under it or something? or would that do more harm than good?

At the hardware store you can find levelling wedges, where you stick it in to level it or get rid of the wobble, and break off the rest of the wedge. I would personally put something solid under it to stop the wobble. Over time, the tank stand can warp and put more stress on the glass, as the platform won't be exactly level.

i would put a piece of styrofoam under it.. the tank will sink into it, and be level.. if it is the stand that is uneven, then i would do what lonewold described

alright.. my bf got the level thing all worked out.. he did the wedge thing. :) as for gravel and um 'toys' they only need a quick rinse with tap water? or should they be soaked for awhile?

Styrofoam or soft rubber matting would work under the tank to help if there's any unevenness (and is recommended). As for the wobble, still need something under the leg to stop the wobble.

angel4335 said:
alright.. my bf got the level thing all worked out.. he did the wedge thing. :) as for gravel and um 'toys' they only need a quick rinse with tap water? or should they be soaked for awhile?

Rinse gravel til the water becomes clear. You want to get rid of the dust. As for the ornaments, rinse in hot water is fine.

do not fill it up with water if it is not level. This could spell disaster. The tnaks glass is designed for loads if the tank is level. if the tank sits anybit not level, even a little bit, it WILL add more pressure and loads to parts of the tank not designed to take it. Seems could split or burst, plastic frames could break....
I would look into everylittle detail before simply adding some shims or foam. What if the stand is defective? Better to figure it out empty than to try and clean all that water up. Most stores and manufacturers should be ok with exchanging the tnka since it was only just opened.

BE CAREFUL!!!!

I live in a 110 year old apartment building in chicago... you know the cool terra cotta ones, built strong. Anyway, my aquarium is in the corner of the room and leans a bit, im guessing from the floor. When i say a bit, i mean, the water is unlevel by about 3/16 to a 1/4 of an inch at the ring on the top when full. I never messed with it, and it seems fine. I think possible the weight from it caused a little deflection in the floor, not the stand issue, If it was sloping any more than that, i would probably drain it and move it, but its been fine.

Back
Top Bottom