Brands of ammonia to use / avoid for fishless cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eco23

Aquarium Advice Addict
As we all know, the ammonia used to fishless cycle an aquarium has to be pure with no surfactants, dyes, perfumes, detergents, etc... However, it is not always easy to tell what a bottle actually contains. I thought it would be a good idea to compile a list of what you know is good...and what to run away from-

Pure
-Blue Ribbon brand Clear Ammonia (what I used, purchased from True Value Hardware)
-Ace brand Janitorial Strength Ammonia (most commonly used, from Ace Hardware obviously)

Do not use
-LA Totally Awesome Pure Ammonia (has almost everything you don't want...even though it's called pure)

Tell us what you used! :)

Last edited:
Shake it.. if it bubbles for more than 5 seconds.. don't use. And air bubbles are way different than soap bubbles. That's the method I use if it doesn't list the ingredients. But its always best to know for sure. Thanks for the list!

As we all know, the ammonia used to fishless cycle an aquarium has to be pure with no surfactants, dyes, perfumes, detergents, etc... However, it is not always easy to tell what a bottle actually contains. I thought it would be a good idea to compile a list of what you know is good...and what to run away from-

Pure
-Blue Ribbon brand Clear Ammonia (what I used, purchased from True Value Hardware)
-Ace brand Janitorial Strength Ammonia (most commonly used, from Ace Hardware obviously)

Do not use
-LA Totally Awesome Pure Ammonia (has almost everything you don't want...even though it's called pure)

Thanks for the info ... this is useful to know!

I'm using ACE too as it was recommended by so many. I first called Home Depot and the first person wanted to know what I wanted the ammonia for. I told them to cycle a tank. They then turned to the person near them and said "she wants it to clean a tank." So then I was transferred to 2 other people before they said they "didn't think" they had pure ammonia.

I then went to Walmart. The ingredients listed a surfactant and it foamed when I shook it.

So I just went to ACE and got the right stuff (it comes in a larger jug than you'll probably ever need and it's about $5 but it's pure ammonia so it's worth it) :)

Clear ammonia from kroger lol. I doubt they still sell it, as my bottle was ancient, but it had softened water in it, so I had to dose more in order to get to 4 ppm.

Somewhere I read that ammonia that feels slippery between your fingers is NOT ok to use. If it feels no slipperier (is that a word?) than water, then it is the safe type. This makes sense to me, because a surfactant (or detergent) would be slippery, and you don't want surfactants for this process, ideally. However, this test does not prove or disprove the presence of colorants or perfumes. And you probably will need to buy the bottle first...most stores are really funny about people opening bottles of cleaning products and sticking their fingers in for a feel.

Surfactants reduce the surface tension of the water... so that would definitely make sense what you're saying. Not the most accurate test in the world, but a good way to reassure yourself.

Got mine at Shop Rite after visting 5 different stores..I never knew there were so many types of Ammonia out there :)...

Shop Rite Clear Ammonia. Only ingredient listed is Ammonium Hydroxide but have to also assume water of some sort as the liquefier or diluting agent.

If you live in Alberta Co Op has a private label brand, Harmonie. No additives. Pure ammonia.

Boots the chemist (in the UK) sell ammonia, all it says on the bottle is ammonia 10%

Feeling a bit lost with this at the moment because all out traditional hardware stores are disappearing in the UK and being replaced by HUGE DIY chains that don't really sell anything that a "proper" hardware store would.

UK - Luckily I have a little DIY type store near me and I got "Jeyes Kleen Off" from there.

Done the shake test and it is fine and also Eco has recommended it for people in UK already so I knew it should be OK.

Just called a little hardware store in the next village.

They have Kleen Off! WHOOP!

So for anyone in South Wales. Joshua and Sons on Park Street Trefforest have Kleen Off! :)

Back
Top Bottom