Breaking down. Or do I thought

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccantlin

Aquarium Advice Freak
As I am going to break down my African cichlid tank I see a little orange spec come out from one of the rocks as I pull it out. Thinking it was just a piece of fin or some food I ignored it. As it turns out I have some fry in my tank and I'm going to keep my tank up.
Do fry require any special type of accommodations of are they alright in the main tank? I have only seen two so far but I'm sure more will pop up.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just feed my mbuna fry crushed flakes 2x per day, and they seem to do fine! The oldest ones (about 4 months old) are starting to get big. If you have any adults left in the tank, though, the fry will likely get eaten.

In my 90 gal i have 3 fry that have survived a few months they are 1 inch big now.. the fry are in my main tank with all my adult cichlids as long as you have lots of timy hiding places some will survive i think

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In a larger tank the fry might have trouble finding food and you might have to put sponge pre-filter over your filter intake.

I have a 125g tank. My Rusty has had 3 fry, 1st had 2, second had 6, last batch was 3. They range from about 1.5 inches to really small as her last fry are only about 2 weeks old. As long as you have hiding spots fry will survive.

Back
Top Bottom