breeding eastern softshell turtles.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iowaguy27

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anyone have any advice on breeding softshell turtles? I will attach a picture maybe be able to tell me what sex mine it. I was also wondering what is a good tank setup and size for my turtle.

Here is a picture of my turtle

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131009_175945.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131009_175945.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 117
Well from what I know abut soft shell turtles you need a sand bottom. But I'm thinking about get a turtle tank maby a soft shell

And he looks to ba about 4in I would say a 40gallon breeder would be good ATM but soft shells get vary big and well need much bigger once they start to get older

Thanks my brother got him while I was in Iraq in 2008 and I have had him in my 55 gallon fish tank. He did really good for a long time but I think he is stating my mollies and swordtail fish. He is about 4 inches. I am not sure how old he actually is. I am wanting to get one of the opposite sex and try to breed them. I am not sure of what kind of tanks, filtration lighting and decor a turtle Like this will need. Here is the web page I was looking at getting one from.

http://www.backwaterreptiles.com/turtles/spiny-softshell-turtle-for-sale.html

That little guy can get up to about 14 inches long so I think your best bet is to get a big tank now instead of constantly upgrading. With possible 14 inches of length your going to need a wide footprint so the turtle can turn around easily. Where do you plan on putting the tank? I'd maybe try and have something built for you or grab a 180 gallon since it has a width of 24". But I think a custom build for you would be great since soft shells like to bury their eggs in shallow sandy/pebble bars. You might think I'm crazy but trust me I'm a turtle lover. I have a 7yo RES and I just got her a 210. Spend the money now and you'll save yourself money down the road.

That little guy can get up to about 14 inches long so I think your best bet is to get a big tank now instead of constantly upgrading. With possible 14 inches of length your going to need a wide footprint so the turtle can turn around easily. Where do you plan on putting the tank? I'd maybe try and have something built for you or grab a 180 gallon since it has a width of 24". But I think a custom build for you would be great since soft shells like to bury their eggs in shallow sandy/pebble bars. You might think I'm crazy but trust me I'm a turtle lover. I have a 7yo RES and I just got her a 210. Spend the money now and you'll save yourself money down the road.

Awsome thanks. I was at least looking at a 90 gallon breeder tank. I am wanting to get some other species down the road and can always upgrade for my softshell and put the new ones in the 90 gal. How does the heating and lighting work? Difference between the types of lightning.

Iowa guy good luck with the turtles can u give me more information on how to get the 90galbreder tank been looking for one

Can you upload a photo of the turtles' belly? Usually to sex the turtles, tail length, belly/back shape and claws can usually give you the answer! ^o^ if you google it, you may find some nice pictures that easily tell you!

Hey guys I'm new here. I do have a good amount of experience w/ Softshells. Eastern spiny females can get 14" average, 18" rarely. Males stay a good bit smaller 8-12" range. Sexing won't be easy til about 5 years of age. Sandy bottom is key for them. Also for egg laying, as females will drop eggs regardless of fertilization, once they reach sexual maturity. Best of luck.

Oh & also about filtration. There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to Softshells. They can absorb oxygen from the water through the skin & anus. So water quality & oxygenation is of upmost importance.

Here is a pic of my JD & one of my Florida softies.
Guess the JD is feeling camera shy today.

Attachments

• 1388962530545.jpg
    1388962530545.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 57
Back
Top Bottom