Breeding Guppies for Oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
u mean breeding guppies in a tank with an oscar??? those fry will be lunch and im assuming the only reason your guppies already havent been gobbled is because you oscar isnt fully grown... or u have some barry sanders guppies :p

lilbetta said:
u mean breeding guppies in a tank with an oscar??? those fry will be lunch and im assuming the only reason your guppies already havent been gobbled is because you oscar isnt fully grown... or u have some barry sanders guppies :p

I meant breeding guppies FOR an Oscar, not with. Ill have a separate tank for my guppies. And guppies will be used as only half their meals.

The main con (outside of the moral issue) is that if the guppies get sick, the oscar gets sick and you might not even know theres a problem with the guppies until its too late for the oscar. If you don't already have the guppies you'd have to setup and run the tank to keep them alive...

The pros? having a food source that is in the same room, live food, less $ spent on other types of food...

Then there is the moral issue of raising fish just to feed them to other fish. I think that is a question left for you and how you feel about it. I can see both sides of the debate. It can be seen as a waste of life, but I know the chicken patty I had for lunch was raised somewhere (I hope) and the hamburger I cooked last night came from similar circumstances...You'll have to make up your own mind on that one

I did it for a while. The oscars outgrow guppies quickly though. I cant see a moral issue with it. I never "bonded" with my feeder fish.

I raised some Rosey red minnows for mine awhile ago but stopped feeding them to the Oscars because some of the new roseys had ick.

Guppies are kinda pricey to be feeding to another fish in my opinion.

I haven't feed him live fish in awhile just because I'm scared to infect them. They're feed once a day cichlid staple floating pellets.

I'm thinking of raising ghost ship instead. Or maybe some meal worms. Something I've heard about with feeding live critters is you have to research they're protein content and be sure not to feed to often because it could lead to bloat.

Hope this helps

I don't think the original price of the guppies is too much since if you buy two you will end up with a million...

That's completely up to you. :) I thought of doing the same thing but didn't want to get attached because guppies can get rather pretty.

On the other hand you'll have some cool colors to watch school while your Oscars aren't eating them. Lol. I know my two year old loves the schooling fish. Great for kids*

I think, and don't hold me to this; but guppies need a ratio of something like 1 male to 3 female. So you'll need more than just 2. Not to mention it's not a sure thing that the 1 to 3 will pair up. You'll probably need more than that.

I hope someone who knows more about guppies chimes in here.^

I'd do endlers instead since they are less likely to eat their fry

sliderfish said:
The main con (outside of the moral issue) is that if the guppies get sick, the oscar gets sick and you might not even know theres a problem with the guppies until its too late for the oscar. If you don't already have the guppies you'd have to setup and run the tank to keep them alive...

The pros? having a food source that is in the same room, live food, less $ spent on other types of food...

Then there is the moral issue of raising fish just to feed them to other fish. I think that is a question left for you and how you feel about it. I can see both sides of the debate. It can be seen as a waste of life, but I know the chicken patty I had for lunch was raised somewhere (I hope) and the hamburger I cooked last night came from similar circumstances...You'll have to make up your own mind on that one

I try to keep my guppies as clean as possible. Whenever I see a sick one, I disinfect and remove the sick one. As for the moral issue, I don't have nothing against. I see both views and agree with them but in the end, it's better for the Oscar.

LogansMomma said:
I raised some Rosey red minnows for mine awhile ago but stopped feeding them to the Oscars because some of the new roseys had ick.

Guppies are kinda pricey to be feeding to another fish in my opinion.

I haven't feed him live fish in awhile just because I'm scared to infect them. They're feed once a day cichlid staple floating pellets.

I'm thinking of raising ghost ship instead. Or maybe some meal worms. Something I've heard about with feeding live critters is you have to research they're protein content and be sure not to feed to often because it could lead to bloat.

Hope this helps

Thanks you for the info. Couldn't critters be sick too?

I'm attach to one right now but I wouldn't mind feeding him LOL. It's goin to be my first time getting an Oscar, I always wanted one. Oscars are my favorite fish then bettas =]

Oscars do not need live food and feeder fish are not very nutritious. Youd be better off sticking to a high quality cichlid pellet. Feeding live foods also encourages aggressive behavior. I don't have a moral issue with it, I just don't see the point when there are better foods out there.

Last edited:
Mumma.of.two said:
Oscars do not need live food and feeder fish are not very nutritious. Youd be better off sticking to a high quality cichlid pellet. Feeding live foods also encourages aggressive behavior. I don't have a moral issue with it, I just don't see the point when there are better foods out there.

I second this^. Good advice there. Kinda why I haven't fed mine the live.

Back
Top Bottom