Breeding Jack Dempseys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paxlerod

Aquarium Advice Freak
At what size/age can Jack Dempsey's breed? What's the smallest in your experience? I had a pair which are under 2" breed, no way did I think this was possible. They had about 100 fry and they ware all free swimming.

image-4007456442.jpg

Happy naive underage parents

Attachments

• image-2695339921.jpg
    image-2695339921.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 80
  • image-21742436.jpg
    image-21742436.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 105
jetajockey said:
Hi. Those look bigger than 2" but it's hard to tell without reference points. How long have you had them?

Correcto Jetajockey. My mistake. The tube in the picture of the Papa JD is 1.5" and he is twice that size, so he is 3"-3.25" max. Momma is 2.5"-3"... So I was a tad wrong. Still aren't they too small to breed? I got them at an auction at the beginning of June and they where about 1"-1.5". The females bottom half is a dark black with bright red outline on fins and bright blue speckles on top and face. The male is covered in bright blue green iridescent speckles all over. They stay close to each other at all times and keep their two tank mates away. Their two tank mates have a very pale appearance but do eat and do not have any injuries. They just keep away. What should I feed the fry?

They are definitely small. Mine started to breed around 10 months to a year or so, give or take. My females are around that size or a little bigger by then, but the males all had a growth spurt and are nearly double the size of the girls.

It's possible that their growth is stunted a bit, if they weren't fed well or in the best conditions growing up they could actually be older than they look and just small for their age. As far as feeding fry, the babies are pretty big newborn so you can get away with powdered flake or pellets or baby brine shrimp.

jetajockey said:
It's possible that their growth is stunted a bit, if they weren't fed well or in the best conditions growing up they could actually be older than they look and just small for their age. As far as feeding fry, the babies are pretty big newborn so you can get away with powdered flake or pellets or baby brine shrimp.

I don't believe they were ever stunted. The breeder is a very credible experienced cichlid breeder.
At work today I decided to come home and makes some moves in order to protect the fry. When I got home you guessed it. All the fry where gone and the parents not at all hungry. I guess it wasn't suppose to be. Thanks jeta

Darn! Look on the bright side though, once they start breeding they are going to keep doing it. You should have more fry soon.

severum mama said:
Darn! Look on the bright side though, once they start breeding they are going to keep doing it. You should have more fry soon.

I am going to be moving 35 miles in two weeks. Will the move affect their relationship? I am going to start a new post to get advice on the move in it of itself.

No, I don't think that it will. I've shipped pairs (so they were bagged for several days at a time) and they didn't mind. I've also moved various tanks across town, then 100 miles, and then a few years ago, 440 miles. I've decided I'm never moving again, but if you need any tips I can probably help you out.

Back
Top Bottom