Brightest color fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Looking to get some tropical fish in the near future for my 20 gallon long tank. I noticed most tropical fish aren't as brilliant as saltwater(obviously). My question is, what breed of fish do you consider the most attractive and brightly colored?? I have kept many fish over the years, and know Mollies and Plattys are pretty colorful. What do you suggest??

well in saltwater the lighting is usually very high and a lot of blues which does a lot of color for the fish so that could be it but i think chiclids are colorful i have red zebra and yellow labs and under the right light they can be very vibrant

I agree that cichlids are the most colorful but won't work in your 20 gal long. Mollies, platies, some of the tetras, some dwarf gouramis,all come to mind.

I do not recommend African Cichlids for anything less than a 55 gal tank. They are too aggressive and require more swimming space than a 20 gal has to offer. With that said, I do think that they are the most colorful.

Are you interested in Gourami's? Some tetras are very colorful also. Not to mention Rosy Barbs.

I have a fire red dwarf gourami that looks great. Cherry barbs can look pretty good too. There's also a few other tetras and rasboras that have some nice coloring as well. Check out the Rummy Nose Tetras too.

I really love the color of Rainbowfish. Dwarf Neon Blue Rainbows would be a good size for your tank.

Endlers livebearers. extremely colourful tail.

Other then chichlids mentioned above. you can get some very colourful tetras, just watch for painted fish like the "popcicle tetra" or "fruitloop tetras" etc.. They are artificially coloured and that typically shortens their lifespan.

A dwarf gourami, some threadfin rainbows (i just got 3 of these.. very pretty fish), Platies, guppies, neons, tetras,

paradise fish, but they don't do well with gourami or other long finned fish, and in a 20 gallon you'd want a male and female...no more, or the males will fight over the female.

rainbow fish.

german blue rams.

Many types of apisto, or dwarf cichlid, are very colourful. I think the tank setup make a big difference. You can have a freshwater tank that looks like a saltwater. Some light sand or gravel and colourful dark rocks make for a nice setting for colourful freshwater fish. You could even throw some coral in if you wanted.

Discus fish look very close to some saltwater fish and can be a extremely bright. However, they definately wont work in your 20 gallon. And plan on having a discus only tank.

That being said, I think some pretty Tetras and Dwarf Gouramis (blue or fire red) will be your most colorful.

Gouramis are very colorful. They come in yellow, blue, blue-red, pink, and all sorts of other colors. Also platies are colorful, mollies, neons, danios aren't colorful but they bring a different pattern into a tank because of their stripes. Guppies also have a TON of colors.

just remember to watch the temperment of some of these beauties. Sometimes the prettiest fish can be pretty agressive and they can limit your options.

Back
Top Bottom