Brine Shrimp (aka Sea Monkies)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PsiPro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well..... I put some sea monkies in with my shrimp... I expected them die from the freshwater even if the shrimp didn't eat them. However aftre 4hrs they are still swimming around (some had been caught). Will they die? I do salt the tank, however nowhere near what is required for them to spawn.

Will they continue to crawl around or will they eventually die?

How much salt do you have in there? I've found them occasionally living as long as 24 hours in fresh water, but they do eventually die.

even if you did have enough salt, its really hard to keep brine shrimp alive. once they hatch you need to put them into another container with a lower temp, and an air stone. the air stone can't make the bubbles so small or they'll eat them, float, and they wont be ablt to eat. i think they eat stuff like yeast. and they are very sensitive to water conditions.

The trick is getting them enough food without fouling the water. If I was going to give it another try, I'd try to get a salty green water culture going to feed to them.

krap101 said:
i thought sea monkeys are brine shrimp?

They are, hence the title :)

Thanks, I only have 1 tablespoon in the 10gal and they lived for atleast 24hrs. Mabey the LFS kept them in lower salinity.

Back
Top Bottom