Brine Shrimp Auto-Feeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

torontofc

Aquarium Advice Activist
I thought of a DIY but it might be stupid and not work. But im just gonna share it anyway.

1) Buy a mini fridge
2) Put a small tank in the fridge and load it with brine shrimps with water
3) Put a powerhead (without the fish protecter at the sucking end of the powerhead) in the brine shrimp tank and connect water tubes to the ejecting end of the powerhead
4) Lead the tube to the main tank
5) Set a timer for the powerhead that only turns on for 1/2-1 min a day so the right amount of brine shrimp will realease into the main tank
6) Add another powerhead in the brine shrimp tank to circulate to prevent the shrimps to stay at the bottom of the tank (this powerhead will turn on 24/7)

Can you guys comment and tell me if this DIY would work or not, or some improvements that could make???? thanks :)

I'VE MADE THIS POST ON THE SALTWATER SECTION BUT I THINK THIS SHOULD BE ON THE DIY SECTION TOO, SORRY IF IM CONFUSING YOU GUYS. :confused:

It is a very simple set up, however the only problem you may encounter is trying to open a hole to the mini fridge. Doing this wrong could mean spending more money in another mini fridge. If you ever get to do it, please let us know how it went.

In order to avoid the mini fringe, what I would do is to get a styrofoam cooler or any other type of cooler, big enough for a 2 gallon tank to fit inside. I would put ice between the tank walls and the cooler inside walls, so the whole thing inside remains cold without having the ice touch the water and I would do the rest as you stated: two power head, etc, etc. By the way, you don't need one of them working 24/7, just make it work for 2 minutes before the other powerhead and you should accomplish the same.

With this setup, the only pain in the neck is to refill the cooler with ice but think of it in an economic way: a bag of ice is cheaper than the electricity consumed by the mini fridge and if you sealed the cooler pretty well, you will have to refill it with ice only when a brine shrimp refill is needed.

Are you talking about live brine shrimp? I didn't know you need to keep them cold. If you are talking about frozen then they have electric coolers that would be easier to modify. If you already have the fridge then you can use insulating foam around hoses.

Back
Top Bottom