Brine Shrimp Hatching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
i've got a tube of Brine shrimp Eggs, but no idea how to get them to hatch...

how much salt should i add to the water?

if/when they hatch can i feed them anything to make them grow a little bigger?

how to i separated them from the salt water? coffee filter? :twisted:

Not sure about your first two questions, but you can use something like this to get the brine shrimp out of the water:
http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...1162086140025&itemNo=9&In=Fish&N=2030064&Ne=2
I don't see why a coffee filter wouldn't work, but a net seems like it would be much easier.

At the store I work for, we keep the brine shrimp in the same saltwater we use for the sw fish. SG is 1.025. I don't know if this is the way to get them to hatch though.

OT, but I just checked out the links in your sig. Your 75 gallon is looking AWESOME and I'm so glad it's starting to recover from the losses a few weeks ago. I followed that thread but didn't have anything useful to say.

severum mama said:
OT, but I just checked out the links in your sig. Your 75 gallon is looking AWESOME and I'm so glad it's starting to recover from the losses a few weeks ago. I followed that thread but didn't have anything useful to say.
thanks! :D

Not sure about your first two questions, but you can use something like this to get the brine shrimp out of the water:
http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...1162086140025&itemNo=9&In=Fish&N=2030064&Ne=2
I don't see why a coffee filter wouldn't work, but a net seems like it would be much easier.
i was not even aware that thye mad such a net, but i guess it makes sence that they do

unless you really need them alive to be fed to something, please kill them quickly and humanely. marine things get all hypertonic, just like how freshwater fish in saltwater get all hypotonic, and shrivel up. its painful eitherway

hc8719 said:
unless you really need them alive to be fed to something, please kill them quickly and humanely. marine things get all hypertonic, just like how freshwater fish in saltwater get all hypotonic, and shrivel up. its painful eitherway
they are to be fed to my fish, i do not know if they will eat them dead... how would i go about killing them..there are tinny little things

Gplayerz said:
lol just keep feeding them to your fish dont hatch alot of them at once, just enough for the feeding.
that problem is i am not sure how to hatch them :?

My brine hsrimp eggs came with salt in the mix, I just added dechlorinated water.

I would use a small tank with an SG of 1.022-1.025 and an airator, maybe a heater to keep it near 80, and a light.

I actually have an airator base that a upended 2 liter bottle screws into with the top (bottom of the bottle) cut off, a light over it, and I add 1 liter of water, and the eggs which have the salt, they hatch in 24-48 hours THOUSANDS of them. I mean THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS

BTW, as for killing them before you feed them. haha, think again. these guys are gonna be so small you will barely see them, unless you feel like raising them for a month or longer before you feed them. Last I checked, they are healthier when young cause they stil lhave aan egg sack..i.e...nutrients for their predators.

JDogg said:
they are to be fed to my fish, i do not know if they will eat them dead... how would i go about killing them..there are tinny little things

my fish go crazy for frozen brine shrimp, and they dont really live long in fw to being with. i suppose you could dump them into ice water (and i mean ice chunks in the water)

im an animal rights person, you arent really going to get too many ways to kill animals from me

hc8719 said:
JDogg said:

my fish go crazy for frozen brine shrimp, and they dont really live long in fw to being with. i suppose you could dump them into ice water (and i mean ice chunks in the water)

im an animal rights person, you arent really going to get too many ways to kill animals from me
i am all for animal rights, but i also believe in food chains and natural selection :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom