Brine Shrimp...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PsiPro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So i'm hatching some brine shrimp to feed to some fishies... And I was looking for easier ways to do things. Has anyone tried somthign like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brine-Shrimp-Ha...711168119QQcategoryZ20759QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Its suposed to actually hatch them in your tank and when they hatch they will swim out and your fish can just pick them off.

I'm nervouse about it becasue, well I just dont trust it :)

Dose anyone have any recomendations on:

1) Breeding Brine Shrimp
2) Hatching them and equipment for hatching them.

Go with a hatchery, brineshrimpdirect.com has excellent lab quality ones.
Don't waste your time with those crappy hatcher/feeders. hatching brine shrimp is very easy, but you really need at least two hatcheries going at once for 1-6 tanks of fry.

I have heard mixed reviews on those hatchery-feeder units...a nummber of my fellow local aquarists purchased a case and each tried one, and 90% of them thought that they were rubbish...I have heard a few chaps online that liked them, but for the price and effort, I would just run a good hatchery and harvest/feed the nauplii yourself.

OK New question. Dose anyone have tips for harvesting the shrimp? I see three distinct layers, 1 floating, a bunch of them in the middle (moving around so I assume they are the shrimp, and a second sunk to the bottom.

Do I trash the bottom and top layers and keep the middle layers? Is there any use for keeping the upper and lower layers?

anyone have a recipe for homeade brine shrimb food?

PsiPro said:
OK New question. Dose anyone have tips for harvesting the shrimp? I see three distinct layers, 1 floating, a bunch of them in the middle (moving around so I assume they are the shrimp, and a second sunk to the bottom.

Do I trash the bottom and top layers and keep the middle layers? Is there any use for keeping the upper and lower layers?

Once you turn off the air flow the BBS should settle at the bottom of the hatchery granted you don't have a light on over the hatchery.

Which brings me to your second question, in order to feed BBS you should have a light over the hatchery 24/7. They eat algae that grows in the water column.

Yeast, wheat flour, soybean powder and egg yolk powder from the local grocery store. Also eat algae, micro organisms, plankton, infusoria, algae paste. Basically, from what I found on a web site that seems to be descent, "Anything that is small enough for them to filter and doesn't dissolve in the water."
On that note, I would think that finely ground fish flakes should work well and also load them with what the fish need anyway.

cdawson said:
Once you turn off the air flow the BBS should settle at the bottom of the hatchery granted you don't have a light on over the hatchery.

Correct...the top layer are the leftover cysts....you don't want those. To help get the nauplii to the bottom for harvesting, darken the room and focus a flashlight beam on the bottom 2" of the hatchery...the nauplii will congregate in the light.

fish_4_all said:
http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/store.cfm?CFID=4411226&CFTOKEN=92863687&c=5279&do=list

Try this site. It has a lot of information and the hatchery dish is supposed to wrok as well as any hatchery with no air and no shells. Simply lift the inner cone and feed off the shrimp.

I love the dish hatcheries....Longlife made one back in the 60's-70's, and it was all I used until the 80's, and I am on a mission to get another.

I've ordered the decapsulated eggs, brine shrimp eggs, and the hatchery dish.. My killifish love me for it.

The one thing I like about the dish is it has a little scoop that sits in the middle and the brine shrimp can be scooped out from the center just by lifting it. I rinse the shrimp and I am good to go.

Moose

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom