Bristle or fire worm? And anems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mackensie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First picture: So we seem to have a proliferation of these guys, and not sure if they are bristle worms or fire worms. When moving one of the LR, a huge one fell/came out. It had to be a good 12" or so. Freaked me out, lol.

Second picture: We have these white anemone looking guys cropping up around our tank.

Third picture: Red anemone looking things with white balls at the end.

Also, will the worm species harm fish or these anemone-looking things? We have yellowtail damsels and blue-green chromis.

Thanks!! :)

Attachments

• image-4254779544.jpg
    image-4254779544.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 146
  • image-4220416419.jpg
    image-4220416419.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 164
  • image-636886963.jpg
    image-636886963.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 148
Bristeworm. Harmless. I mean sure, if it was actually a foot long, it could attack a sleeping fish, but I wouldn't put money on that happening. If they are that prolific, it means you're feeing too much.
Picture two is most likely aiptasia. Bad. Want it gone. Peppermint shrimp may help.
Pic 3, you got me. Maybe a mushroom?

Wow, most of the time people's pics are just Bristleworm, but that first pic, DOES look like a fireworm! These are bad news. I would remove it if possible!!
Second pic looks like Aptasia, pest anemone. They will quickly over-populate a tank. Remove this as well. Peppermint shrimp will eat them, or there are products like Aptasia X, that will kill them.
Last pic, I agree with above post, looks like a pseudocoryactis (sp) anemone... This one is harmless.

I agree. Get a fireworm trap, hit the aiptasia with aiptasia-x, and watch the nem incase it transforms into a majano nem somehow...and if it does nuke it with aiptasia-x. Until them, let it keep on keeping on.

*facepalm*
Here you go. THIS is a fireworm.
Bearded_Fireworm_%28Small%29.jpg

From wikipedia's image files.

After looking at Macenzie's worm pic some more, I would have to agree with MacDracor, it's a bristle worm. I've just never seen one that wide or flat. That made me believe it was a fireworm. Unless that pic is really zoomed, that's the biggest bristle worm I have ever seen, it's got to be a half inch across! With it being that big, IMO it would still be advisable to remove it. If you've got one that size in your tank, you've got plenty
more. They are, for the most part beneficial, but ypu also dont want a population explosion and one that size is def a breeder!

Back
Top Bottom