Bristletoe nose pleco out of control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catfish Lover

Aquarium Advice Freak
During feeding time. Do they always act like this during feeding? It doesn't matter whether I feed in morning or late at night he pushes all other fish out of his way. It's not like their isn't enough to go around either as I crush up the pellets or wafers and scatter them all over the tank so the fish aren't fighting over same food in one area. Just a flat out bully during feeding only. Their are plenty of hiding spots to if he wants he could drag a piece and comfortably eat it bit he just wants to try and claim all the food in the tank. I thought this was cute the first time I saw it but worried over time this May stress the other fish into health problems. I have a 55g with 6 cherry barbs , 10 bloodfin tetras, 4 black mollies and 9 albino cories in there with him. I've had the pleco for over a month. The little brat also still refuses to eat fresh veggies I give him except peas. Any solutions to this problem or is he just acting naturally territorial over the food? Just seems to want no one near him during meal time.

My bristle nose acts the same way. Flailing around and stirring up the sand whenever any fish attempts to get a bite of something near her. It seems like the main concern would be for your cories getting enough food, but I'm not sure how to help there because I've never had cories. Have you tried feeding on opposite ends of the tank?

Not concerned with them getting enough as it's scattered throughout the tank, but he darts near them and flails his body around when they get too close. They just move out of the way and find another area for food, but sometimes find their way back near the pleco or the pleco will see a group of fish and think something good is over there and throws himself around.

One way I found to combat that with most pushy pleco's is I add 3- 3/8" strips of zucchini on veggie clips to the side of the tank daily or every other day and my pleco gorge on them and rarely ever both any fish during actual feeding time. I put zucchini in one morning and take it out the next. I use 3 strips due to the amount of various algae eaters and fish who enjoy veggies in their diet like my angelfish. I've also add a New Era Pleco Pellet or two into the tank on days I don't add zucchini. They are soft and all algae and bottom feeders love them.

One way I found to combat that with most pushy pleco's is I add 3- 3/8" strips of zucchini on veggie clips to the side of the tank daily or every other day and my pleco gorge on them and rarely ever both any fish during actual feeding time. I put zucchini in one morning and take it out the next. I use 3 strips due to the amount of various algae eaters and fish who enjoy veggies in their diet like my angelfish. I've also add a New Era Pleco Pellet or two into the tank on days I don't add zucchini. They are soft and all algae and bottom feeders love them.

I'll try the zucchini, I've tried a few times before but it was ignored. Guess I'll keep trying that and cucumber

It took months for my LF BNP female to try it and now she waits daily for it.

Do you just keep putting it in every day even though it doesn't get eaten until they eventually decide to try it? I have the same problem.
Or do you fast them from wafers giving them no other choice than the fresh veggies?

It took months for my LF BNP female to try it and now she waits daily for it.

Months!! Oh boy, don't know if I have the patience for that. Is their a way to preserve the zucchini (freezing) or something or cucumber so things won't go to waste.

I'd just cut up the zucchini or cucumber into proper sized slices and freeze them. Then each day you can take out a slice, run it under hot water, and stick it in the tank. I have a lot of fish in my 220 so 1 zucchini is used in a couple of days so I don't have to freeze them but many people do. Also you can half your strips and only put a small amount in daily so as not to waste so much. I also have 3 species of whiptail cats, 2 species of oto's, angelicus and red lizard loaches, angelfish, along with the pleco in that tank that eats the zucchini.

I don't use many algae tabs at all, never have. I do use the New Era Plec Pellets which are larger and soft that all of my bottom feeders enjoy but I only use them because I know my pleco eats a lot on veggies. I also about every 3 days cook, deshell, and smush up a few pea's and drop them in the tank with their regular feeding. All my fish including the pleco's enjoy them as well. You just have to be patient... lol!

Back
Top Bottom