Brittle star lost an arm!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Horsegirlmaddy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I feel so terrible!!!!! I just added a bit of freshwater to the tank after some evaporation, and to escape the flow of water, my sea star (only tank inhabitant at the moment) scuttled away. All fine, I thought. Then I saw the majority of one of his arms on the tank bottom!!! Looks like maybe he ripped it off on a piece of live rock maybe? So now he just has a nub... What should I do? Will he be okay? And a silly question but...should I remove the arm? Will it just create ammonia, or will he eat it or something?

Help! :(

Attachments

• image-274841161.jpg
    image-274841161.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 101
  • image-3031841242.jpg
    image-3031841242.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 84
  • image-3737739542.jpg
    image-3737739542.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 69
The brittle star will fine they grow new arms in the event of losing one. As for the lost arm I would take it out though in the ocean I think that the lost arms survive to grow into another starfish.

If it grew into a new starfish that would be AWESOME. But I suppose I'll take it out anyways :( I'm glad he'll grow a new one though, that's a relief.

The dropped arms can only regrow a new star if it has a part of the central disc attached. At least that's what I've read.

MacDracor said:
The dropped arms can only regrow a new star if it has a part of the central disc attached. At least that's what I've read.

Ahhh that makes sense.

signalman said:
Glad to put your mind to rest.:)

Muchly appreciated!! He seems to be alright, noodling about the tank and resting on his favorite rock. So all seems good!

Back
Top Bottom