Broken tail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sssea

Aquarium Advice Freak
My oranda seems like he may have a broken tail. I'm not sure if that's even possible, but a lot of the time, it just seems to hang limp behind him. Any ideas? He seems to have some trouble swimming and my moor has been picking on him a bit.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• image-638688545.jpg
    image-638688545.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 61
  • image-3111182239.jpg
    image-3111182239.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 61
Has he always been like this or has it been getting progressively worse as he has grown? Or did it happen overnight?

jlk said:
Has he always been like this or has it been getting progressively worse as he has grown? Or did it happen overnight?

It has not always been like this. It happened at some point, but hasn't really gotten worse at all. Its also hasn't gotten any better. I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do.

If it happened at a definitive point (as in overnight) and he wasnt like this prior, its likely the result of an injury. I have seen goldies like this before but it was due to a genetic defect in their peduncle that breeders would cull & its something that would gradually get worse with age. I honestly dont think theres much that you can do- if he seems happy & has a good appetite, just let him be. Hopefully, it will heal with time. If it reaches a point thats its quanity vs quality of life, then its a decision you will have to make, unfortunately. An aquatic vet may be able to offer some sort intervention if you would like to seek this route.

Back
Top Bottom