Brown algae/ diatoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

handb94

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been having this issue with brown algae in my tank. It has been set up for approx 4 months now. I do weekly water changes. 15 gallons or so. My ph is around 7.8 ish. I was told it was alright as long as it stays steady. My nitrates stay around 40ppm. I'm not sure why I can't bring them down.

Anyways onto the question. I just scrubbed all of the decorations and the walls of the tank. It usually comes back after a week or so. I use Prime conditioner when I change the water. I have well water. I was told that could be the problem. Is there anything I can put in the water to kill the algae? Is there any way to prevent it from coming back? Thank you.

It could be diatoms. New tanks tend to get those. I got nerite snail and plants. They took care of it. Nerites because they ate it, plants because they use nitrates (and nitrites and ammonia) as nutrients. More/larger water changes take out more nitrates too.

It's normal, most new tanks get them at some point or other. They'll go away eventually. It's better to wait it out and not add any unnecessary chemicals to the tank. Or get a nerite snail or two, they'll probably help out (and they can't breed in freshwater so you won't be overrun with them).

Have you checked your tap water for nitrate? 40 is on the higher side; <20 is recommended. How often do you do water changes?

Thanks for the replies. I might get a snail or two. I have been keeping the lights off also. I heard that helps. I haven't checked the tap water. I change it every week.

A friend of mine has Ottos that eat the diatoms. She swears by them. I am going to try them out. Diatoms are caused by Silicates in the water.

Is there a way i can test for silicates in the water? I will look into the ottos also.

Back
Top Bottom