brown algae in 10 month old tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bskerrichard27

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm having a issue with a brown algae it will go away at night when lights are off and in the morning after about 2 hours it comes back if I blow it with turkey baster it blows right off. Some of it also has bubbles ...its a 55 gallon with quite one 4000 return pump 2 koralia 750 a reef octopus diablo 160 skimmer 15 w uv 100lbs live rock corallife aqualight pro with 150 w metal halides on timers 6hours a day article 1/10 HP chiller Nitrates 0 amo 0 nit 0 phosphate .025 temp 78 any ideas

Im going through the same thing with brown algea. Ive spoken to acouple of people and ive come to the conclusion i have to cut back on my lighting. However you seem to have your lighting pretty low (6hrs). How is your CUC looking??

I have about 20 snails one emerald crab about 10 hermits one banded shrimp

I have that same fixture and I changed the bulbs after 10 months and the stuff went away. I had the same problem it would go away at night till the halides came on. If they are the original bulbs after ten months they are due for an update anyway

Try pointing a power head down on the sand and it should help if more flow is going over the areas

Im starting to think that my brown algae is caused by a poor circulation problem. Maybe this might be your cuase too??

I had this problem forever in my tank. I would do water changes every week n still it wouldn't go away. About two weeks ago I stopped feeding flake food. I only feed frozen n I rinse before I feed and I added chemi-pure elite n its gone all gone. Idk if that will work for u but it has for me.

Good luck.... I knw that brown algae is a pain.

Oh n my emerald crabs loved that brown algae.

I just beefed up cuc added chemi elite and did 5% water changes for a week everything seems to be stabilizing

That chemipure seems popular is it really that good as they say

It's my first time using it, I had it in my system for less then a month n my water is better then its ever been. Plus I don't have brown algae any more. So I think it does work but I have only been running it for very little time.

I was gojng to buy some the other day. Where do u run it at. It comes in a bag right. Can u run it in a reactor or is it to fine

It does come in a bag. I have a biocube29 so I just run it in the second chamber.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom