Brown Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobtrop

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon tank that's been set-up with fish for about a month now and I'm starting to get some brown algae on the glass and on the plants. What's the best way to deal with this?

I have a standard Perfecto hood on it with what I believe is a 15 watt bulb. The plants are all plastic and the lights are on 10 hours a day (controlled via a timer). For filtration I'm using an Emperor 280. I have some platies, head and tail light tetras and some pristella tetras. PH is around 7.8 and the water is moderately hard.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

What you are experiencing is diatoms. Basically, a build up of excess nutrients. It's fairly common in newly set up tanks, and tanks that have not been cycled.

Most (and I say most, because each has a mind of thier own) algae eaters will not touch diatoms, however people have had luck with the Otocinculus Catfish. These little guys will devour a tank of diatoms in no time if they are good and healthy.

I would scrub them off of your plants and decorations, and leave the glass to the Otos, if you want. I've never experienced brown algae for myself,so good luck with it. 8)

The brown algae, or diatoms, only appears on items that are receiving direct light. It is not appearing on any shaded areas. Is this typical? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom